Cleaned screen, water blotches under screen help?

Reaction score
I was cleaning my screen and i thnk a little water may have ended up under the screen. not much but it seems to have been sucked up under the screen and now theres bright blotches and streaks under the screen. I turned it off immediately. Will this go away? Is there anything i can do to help make it go away?

If theres nothing i can do, how much does it cost to have the screen replaced? Are there any guides to doing it myself?

OP
K
Reaction score
I have found a replacement screen on ebay made by lg phillips.
model #: LP133WX1-TLA1

Is this the same as the original screen on a new black macbook? If so i found a guide to replacing it and i'm confident that i can do it on my own. I just dont want to replace it with an inferior screen. I'm a serious amature photographer so i want a good screen.

Thank for any help you can give me,
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
I've never heard of this before..what did you use to clean your screen? I can't possibly see how plastic could have absorbed water.

Reaction score
Me Too!

My two-year-old knocked over a water bottle on my macbook (5 days old) yesterday. I wiped everything off and kept working. Then I saw the foggy white cloud and streaks starting in the bottom right corner and spreading. I shut it down, removed the battery and let it stand on its side to drain. Tried it again this morning and the cloud has spread. I see you posted this a couple of weeks ago. Tell me how it turned out. Did it clear up or did you have to replace the screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book 12" black, 7 iMacs 1 G4 and 1 PowerPC Mac Mini
Water under the screen

I went to pick up my Mac Book from the coffee table and before I knew it, it went slipping straight into my wifes footbath from the previous night! It was completely submerged for a few seconds. Needless to say, I was a little concerned.
The battery was history but the 'book came back on albeit with the screen almost completely showing signs of water underneath.
It's been 6 days now with the computer on non-stop and the water is slowly receding with about 20 little white spots.
I have put it in direct sunlight for an hour or so and I think it's a little better as a result. It looks like I need to wait for the slow evaporation of the water which at this rate may take another 4-5 days. So it looks like water will eventually just evaporate.
One time before I did manage to spill a very small amount of my glass of water on the screen (clumsy!)that dripped down into the crack between the screen and the surrounding black cover. It took about 2 days to disapear, leaving a little residue which probably was a trace of the minerals in the water.
So I guess it's a waiting game. Good to know that there is life for Macs after 100% immersion in water!

Reaction score
Did the water spots go away finally?

I decided to give my laptop a baptism and have the same water spots under the film. Did yours finally go away?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Do. not. clean. screens. with. water.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Do. not. clean. screens. with. water.
Apple actually recommends you clean the screen with water. Here.

You shouldn't directly spray water or any liquid on the screen though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple actually recommends you clean the screen with water. Here.

Gasp! That sounds dumb. I stand by my comment...

You shouldn't directly spray water or any liquid on the screen though.

...with this caveat - definitely spray nothing onto the screen.

Reaction score
Thanks for your support guys!!

I didn't do it on purpose DA!!!! I appreciate all the help from such a smart bunch!!

Reaction score
Please stay focused guys!

The original question was, "Did yours finally go away?", referring to the water under the screen, written by Peterguitar.
I do realize that I shouldn't put water on a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are focused

The original question was, "Did yours finally go away?", referring to the water under the screen, written by Peterguitar.
I do realize that I shouldn't put water on a computer.

A discussion on the merits of cleaning screens is perfectly worthwhile.

Reaction score
Cleaning the screen after water spill

I think the water is actually drying up, but it is likely to leave a stain. Is it possible to take the screen out and clean it from the back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Almost certainly, yes - there are instructions on the web for dismantling it.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure - if there's a cover in front of the LCD then yes, but if there isn't, you might be out of luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.