VNC Windows from Canada to Mac in New York

Reaction score
Hello. I have a bit of an issue and I don't know if there is an easy fix. I have a friend on a windows computer in Canada. She wants to get into my Mac computer in New York. I turned on Apple Remote Desktop and did the password requirement thing. I also turned on my ftp server. When she tries to VNC in with any of her programs, it says she can not connect. NOT that she can't find my computer. It says she can't connect because she doesn't have the correct priviledges or something. I have all my VNC ports open and Didn't think it would be too difficult. I think one of the issues might be that I am on a network router since I live with 3 other dudes at college? I heard rumors that the issue could be because router IPs change, but my IP hasn't changed once since I have attached. Any help you can offer to help this issue would be great. Thanks.

Mike

Reaction score
VNC from Canada to New York. All ports are open, one is on Windows and the other is on Mac. Already I can think of a millions issues. Is there even a client that supports VNC from Wintel to Mac/Mactel? Seriously, can this person just use SFTP and SSH to get files, or is it necessary to have full desktop control from afar? I ask because there are some serious security issues with running VNC over a WAN.

In short, check again for any software compatibility issues, all ports known for this particular VNC are open, check the router to ensure ports there are open.

Reaction score
I believe all VNC is compatible, next you need to open up your router control and forward ports 5800,5801,5900 and 5901 to your computer. You must not your external ip address, by going to http://whatsmyip.org/ and looking at the top. Call you your friend and tell them the ip address and the password, then they would be able to connect.

OP
A
Reaction score
All they want to do is take A LOT of files I have saved. ProTools sessions to be exact. They don't need entire access of my computer. The biggest issue I don't understand is the whole forwarding port idea. How would I do that exactly? sorry if thats a noobish question, but I haven't done it before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.