Odd problem with Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
Finder keeps popping up without me clicking the icon. I think I've got something else running that depends on Finder, which causes it to display itself - but it appears totally random.

Right now I'm running Yahoo Messenger, Firefox, XFolders, iTunes, Mail, VoodooPad, youcontrol: tunes, QuickSilver, Growl, MenuMeters, and a few Widgets on Dashboard.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I'm afraid i'm not much help, but are you sure you're not accidentally clicking on the desktop or something like that?

-Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty confidant that the problem isn't between the seat and the mouse. :)

I'm afraid i'm not much help, but are you sure you're not accidentally clicking on the desktop or something like that?

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Go into the Keyboard & Mouse preferences, click on the Trackpad tab. Under Trackpd Gestures, see if Clicking is checked. If so, uncheck it. You may also want to set (check mark) under Trackpad Options, the Ignore accidental trackpad input selection.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I shouldn't be so confidant. :)

I'm able to repeat the behavior using iTunes. I just ripped a couple CDs then moved the resulting directory and files to my preferred location. iTunes is able to find the moved mp3 - but a Finder window opens at the same time.
I guess once iTunes re-indexes my music folder this behavior will stop.

Does this explanation make sense?

I'm pretty confidant that the problem isn't between the seat and the mouse. :)

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an iMac, there's no trackpad.

I think I'm wrong about iTunes being the possible culprit, I just restarted my machine and, low and behold, up pops a Finder window pointing at my Utilities folder. I closed the window then fired up iTunes, up comes another Finder window pointing you-know-where.

Weird.

Go into the Keyboard & Mouse preferences, click on the Trackpad tab. Under Trackpd Gestures, see if Clicking is checked. If so, uncheck it. You may also want to set (check mark) under Trackpad Options, the Ignore accidental trackpad input selection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
From the utilities you mentioned, only one sounds like it manipulates folders... XFolders -though I know nothing of it. But if I were you I'd disable that and restart.

Aside from that, it sounds like something is doing an applescript with "tell application finder to activate". You have any scripts running?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the culprit is youcontrol:tunes. I'm listening to iTunes radio and when a new song came on and the popup was displayed - up came Finder.
And I was just sitting here in front of my Mac reading a book. I'm going to un-install youcontrol:tunes and see what happens.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No applescripts that I created and kicked off - this is day 11 of my switch from WinXP to OS X, so I'm a total babe-in-the-woods here.

From the utilities you mentioned, only one sounds like it manipulates folders... XFolders -though I know nothing of it. But if I were you I'd disable that and restart.

Aside from that, it sounds like something is doing an applescript with "tell application finder to activate". You have any scripts running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I'm not sure but someone posted this help for me and you can check to see if this is the issue: Click on your apple (top right corner) and "Go to System Preferences, then click Accounts and select the username for whom this is opening automatically. Click the Login Items "tab" and look for it in the list, click on the entry then click the minus button below the program list window."

I revised this a bit to fit your issue. But this might help and if it doesn't, you know where it is ;D .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Oops didn't see how old this was, well maybe it will help someone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.