macbook doesn't recognize my new hard drive

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Have just installed a new 160gb SATA drive into my macbook. Insterted the dvd and held down the C to boot from DVD. It started fine and went throught the first couple of pages of the boot. Then the screen appeared asking me to select the drive and in the box where the drive should have appeared, there was nothing showing

Any thoughts
Cheers
Al

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D - PB G4 - iBook G4 - iMac G3 DV SE
You need to run Disk Utility from the boot disk menu.
The drive needs to be partitioned before the OS is installed.

Reaction score
well this is what you need...
-Buy an external enclosure for your new drive.
-Download a demo software of SUPER DUPER

this is what you need to do..
-Plug your external hard drive into your macbook
-Completely format your new hard drive becuase the new hard drive is formatted for the PC world and not for the mac world
-Once thats done, make a back up of your old drive to your new drive
-Your new hard drive can now be put into your macbook

This is just a brief outline, hope this helps.

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D - PB G4 - iBook G4 - iMac G3 DV SE
Hold on, that's a lot of work for nothing.
Just erase and partition using disk utility. You can choose your format without buying enclosures and removing the already installed drive.

-Completely format your new hard drive becuase the new hard drive is formatted for the PC world and not for the mac world

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro

I replaced my drive, and there was no need for an external enclosure.

Just do what GWR said.

OP
A
Reaction score
still not reading

Thanks everyone

So I reinstalled the hard drive and booted with the C down and went to disk utilities. It shows my DVD player and a icon called media which I assume is the new hard drive. Clicked on erase. Showed volume format as "mac os standard" and I didn't name it. Clicked erase and the "destroy blah blah", then clicked erase and and got message Disk erase failed and "the chosen size is not valid for the chosen file system"

I'm at a loss. any help would be appreciated. Now about the drive it is a SATA 2..That's the correct unit right??

Cheers
Alastair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I have not done this in a Mac. I did it with an external drive recently and I have done many on PC's.

If it were a PC it is a simple get into disk management, format as..., and make it active.
The external drive I had I did in fat32 and made 2 partitions....one as a windows partition so may daughter can use it to store pc based stuff, and the other as a fat 32 Mac partition for me. Just plug in the usb cable and I can see both partitions in OS X and their labels, Win and Mac.
From what I have read it should be a fairly straightforward process on the Mac as well....as they have posted above, just use the disk utility and format and label the drive. Should be no more complex than that.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Maddog

Took my hard drive and plugged it into an external case and went to disk management. I saw my 2 desktop hard drives and the cd drive but no external hard drive so I can't even reformat it

Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
You may need to go into computer management, storage, device management and the action menu, scan for changes in order for Win to see it. I think you then need to make it a primary partition make it active and then format.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Reaction score
my method is to back up your files without all the work. but if you are doing a clean install, then do as they say.

Reaction score
i'd buy an external enclosure so you can recycle your old drive as an external. No point in letting the extra drive go to waste right? you can use it as a raw storage for any pc/mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
still nothing

Hi Maddog

Have tried rescanning and still doesn't show up. I think its a bum drive. When I plug my external drive in I see a green light on the external drive case and hear the traditional sounds when attaching a external device. Does that mean its recognizing the drive or recognizing a device has been attached and maybe its not recognizing the drive

Man I need an asprin:eek:neye:

Al

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.