Classic to OS10

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
you have to have the latest updates for 9. then you would need a VERY early version of 10 for installation.

OP
B
Reaction score
It is an Imac from the mid 90's that is used by my ten year old daughter. We have a G4 from 2003 running 10.2. So we could use the disc's from that possibly.

I have MacBook Pro that is running 10.4 tiger. You have to forgive my inexperience with Mac. I am forced to run windows at work and have way more experience with that.

Thanks for the insight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think any imac could run 10.2 decently. You would need to max your ram though as stated above. Even a first gen. imac should do fine with 10.2. I would be skeptical to try any newer OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
iMacs can run OS 10.4 Tiger no problem!

We've got it on a 1998 233Mhz G3 here. Just install OS 9, upgrade to 9.2.2, upgrade the firmware and you're away. Bear in mind you will need an external DVD writer to install Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^^

well yes it can run it but I dont think it would handle as well as with 10.2 or 10.3. But yes all g3, g4, and g5 machines can run 10.4 (not always well though, as such with g3 machines).

Reaction score
Birddog might find that each release of X would run faster than the previous one, probably because it's better optimized. That was the case with my G3. Panther ran faster than Jaguar, and Tiger faster than Panther, though more RAM was added just before Tiger was installed. Other posters have said the same.

But I've never seen X on any machine slower than my 350 megahertz G3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3 350MHz, 256MB Ram, OS X 10.3.9
Yes, you certainly can. You need at least 256MB's of ram to do it, you also have to do all the updates to the firmware also on 9 before you upgrade. You can find old OS X CD's for sale, around various places around the internet. But guessing you have a G3 iMac, get the CD's of 10.3 then upgrade to 10.3.9. I personally got a iMac G3 350MHz with 256MB and OS X 10.2 with classic installed. I found CD's of 10.3 installed it, and deleted OS 9 because I don't like OS 9 at all. I attempted to install a bigger HD, but I couldn't get the case open... Hope that helps and good luck to you.

M

MacHeadCase

It is an Imac from the mid 90's that is used by my ten year old daughter. We have a G4 from 2003 running 10.2. So we could use the disc's from that possibly.

I have MacBook Pro that is running 10.4 tiger. You have to forgive my inexperience with Mac. I am forced to run windows at work and have way more experience with that.

Thanks for the insight.

You can't use an install disk from another Mac model, these are model specific.

If you really want to install OS X on your G3 iMac, you will need the full install disks (retail version): look at eBay and try to buy a copy there. And I would suggest Mac OS X 10.3.x Panther instead of Jaguar (10.2.x), Panther is much more stable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.