Temperature rise after security update??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
I just installed the security update which has just come out and I noticed my Temperature idles at about 57 degrees Centigrade.

I am using SMC fan control and it's the latest version. The temperatures used to idle at about 42 degrees Centigrade. Has anyone else noticed an increase in temperature since doing the update or am I imagining things?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't believe I've ever seen my CPU temps below about 52-54c.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
according to the iStat widget I'm running at 41 on my iMac after update. This is the same as before

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D
I have noticed that my MBP has run hotter lately. I hadn't attributed it to the update though and think thats possibly a coincidence. The temperature differences however are about the same as what you describe.

63 degrees with fans @ 2,000 RPM now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Haven't noticed a difference for mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I very rarely see my G4 PB 15" below about 55 degrees. Runs nicely at 62.

Alex

Reaction score
Temp

Well I got the new update in my Macbook Pro C2D 2.16, and my temp is still the same, no fan control installed, but i do have istat pro, my temp idle at arround 60......i have never been able to get 54 like what some people get. 60 seems to be ok.

Reaction score
Mine has been running a bit hotter, too. I've noticed two things:

1. A lot of memory is being used up by inactive info. I don't know if this is due to a change in the OS or just a change in my usage that I haven't really noticed. But, the only thing that is running "hot" on my MBP is my memory right now. The processor has been down in the low- to mid-50's where it normally is, but the fans have been working constantly.

2. It's about 15 degrees warmer outside than it was two days ago. I can say for certain, but odds are Apple is not to blame regardless of what Greenpeace says.

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Update

Well, I have been wondering for a while now if maybe the fan blades and air ducts in the laptop were getting a nice layer of dust on them. My scanner top is glossy and it needs dusted once a month. I have my fans running high when I am processing a lot of video work. I put 2 and 2 together and thought "Hey, lets take the laptop cover off and see if I can check for dirt, and if there is any, remove it"

I have watched many videos of peole taking their MacBook Pro's appart, read a few scare stories, and set about my way.

All screws removed, gently teasing the keyboard lid up...

Nah, It wasn't going to budge around the disc drive part.

I teased it a little harder...

My laptop then blew up and now I have no laptop!!

Just kidding. My sense got the better of me, and I clicked it all back down again and screwed it together.

One weird thing though, one of the little screws in where the battery sits (which you have to remove to take the laptop appart, not the memory plate screws) wouldn't go back in! It would physically sit in the hole, but turning the screw driver did nothing, so I ended up putting a miniscule ammount of Blue Tac on it to hold it in. Which worked.

I guess if there was any dust, there wouldn't be enough to increase the temperature that much.

I was going to stick the hoover on the vent grills to remove any loose dust, but am too scared of spinning the fans beyond their capacity and burning their motors out.

Best leave it be.

Anyway, cheers for replying to my post, I guess it's just one of those things that happens. To be honest, the third reboot after the update, my laptop temp stayed down under 50 degrees, then over a period of 4 hours, crept up to a constant 57 degrees.

I love my laptop so much, I am terrified of it going wrong, so when subtle changes like that happen, it alerts me.

Oh, and by the way, the laptop is out of warranty so I havent lost anything by attempting to undo the casing - which I wanted to try anyway, as I have planned to fit a faster bigger hard drive at some point.

Looks like an Apple Reseller will be getting some money nstead :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D
I also had the screws off my MBP. I tried to coax the lid off myself and when it wouldn't budge easily I quickly decided not to force it lol. I guess we have a bit in common.

Reaction score
Hey guys!!

Yay! I actually get to offer advice for once, instead of always asking!!!

Well I had the same problem.... I updated, and mine has been running alot hotter. So something simple fixed it for me....

I took a DVD case, and stuck it under the back of the MBP. Figured it would lift it up, and release the heat from under it. It worked :)

I was running at around 64ish..... Now I am running around 56-59!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.