G4 PCI Sound card question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Powermac Single 867 MGZ
Hello all! I am a newbie to the Mac world, so I hope my questions (And all future questions) don't sound stupid....

Anyway, I just resurrected a G4 Power Mac! It is a single 867 MHz processor unit.

I mainly deal with PC's (Don't hold that against me......) so I hope I am wording this correctly.

I am using my Mac as a "Music center"! I will be updating my Ipod with it and connecting it to my home network to play music through my home stereo and such.

I am on a VERY TIGHT budget right now, and am trying to see if I can use any of my old PC item in here.

So......

I have an old SOUND BLASTER LIVE PCI card I had in an old PC. Does anyone know if this will work? Or if there are any "Drivers" available for it?

I guess it breaks down to wondering if I can use ANY/MOST PCI cards in my mac?

or

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a good sound card "cheap"?

Thank you for ANY help on this matter! :bomb:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your machine is a Quicksilver G4 867. It has a very nice sound system built into the machine. I have the Digital Audio which is the machine before yours and the built in sound is very good.

I have PC's with SB Live's and feel the Built in audio sounds just as good as my PC with the SB Live.

On drivers for the SB Live and OSX, I am not sure but will search around and get back to you. I know someone got it working. Try the built in first though as it might be all you need.

Any PCI card would work as long as there is a driver written for it but a lot don't have OSX drivers. Will get back to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
There are no drivers for any Creative SB Live product for OSX. I previously made the mistake of purchasing one of those cards to use in my G4 DA and it did not work. They will work in OS9 however.

Your PC card will not work out of the box in your Mac, but theoretically you could flash its BIOS with a Mac edition BIOS. I'm not sure if this is possible, but either way you still can't use it with OSX.

If your on-board sound works, then I would simply use that. If you must have discrete audio, you can get a M-Audio PCI Mac card. They have several that will work with OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.