Just ordered a Macbook Pro, some questions

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Ive been lurking these forums for a while and decided to finally order a new computer. Ive been using my custom built Athlon XP 2500 desktop machine for quite some time now. The side panel has fallen off, the front panel is broken, my cd-rom drive is dead, the whole computer is extremely loud, I havent been able to update XP since before SP1 (for, ahem, reasons), the OS freezes constantly, my quotation/apostrophe key doesnt work, and the system is generally very buggy and sluggish. SO Im hoping this new machine will be a contrast.

I ordered the Macbook Pro 15.4 inch with a 2.33ghz C2D and 2gb of RAM (the 256VRAM model). Here are some questions I have.

My MBP isnt due to arrive until Thursday, can I find out if I ordered the Glossy or Matte screen before then? (I ordered it over the phone and was never asked)

Whats the cheapest and easiest way to transfer all of my music/movies from my current IDE drive to my new MBP?

Will I have to reformat my iPod (5G) for compatibility with OSX?

Finally, a friend of mine recently purchased a Macbook and had some issues with freezing every few minutes (more like hiccups than freezing, actually). Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with a new machine?

-Isaac

Reaction score
if you call up Apple and give them your order number I'm sure they'll be able to tell you whether you got glossy or matte..you should have been asked...

you won't need to reformat your iPod. PC-formatted iPods will work under OS X and Windows, you just won't be able to run any software updates on your Mac (without reformatting it), you'll have to connect it to a PC to do updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
For file transfer, I would just set the PC up for networking and connect them directly via a ethernet cord and transfer away. That's how I did mine. Very easy, very cheap, If you don't know how to do it, Apple has instructions on the website, I think under "switch".

Reaction score
If you don't know how to do it, Apple has instructions on the website, I think under "switch".

I think Apple disabled some of the networking features in one of there OS 10.x patches. I, at least, cannot connect my Macbook Pro to our desktop PC per Apple's instructions. I need to connect from the PC to the Mac and push the files over. I think they disabled the smb communications. This was very aggravating, to say the least, and has been my biggest complaint since switching to a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I think Apple disabled some of the networking features in one of there OS 10.x patches. I, at least, cannot connect my Macbook Pro to our desktop PC per Apple's instructions. I need to connect from the PC to the Mac and push the files over. I think they disabled the smb communications. This was very aggravating, to say the least, and has been my biggest complaint since switching to a Mac.

I doubt Apple have disabled anything, just because it doesn't work doesn't mean i's the Mac. I had the same problem, and the fault was at the Windows end - I never fixed it, but after a reformat of the PC it started working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.