The new 12" powerbook?

K

Kananigirl

Does anyone here have the new 12" powerbook? I was wondering how it is with all the upgrades to it? I was seriously thinking about getting an 12" ibook 2 days ago. Now, I can get a 15% off discount and I'm seriously thinking about the powerbook. I'm going to do all the normal stuff on it, but I'd like to try experimenting with garageband and do webdesigning in PS. I don't need a superdrive. I'm very happy with a DVD-rom/CD-rw instead. I'm probably going to few 2 months to get more money for it. My brother is going to get an 12" ibook, we're finally going to switch! YAAAAAY!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Yep, I just got the new Powerbook two days ago. I love it! I previously had the 1 GHz model, but it was so new that Apple swapped me for the new one for free. I upgraded the RAM in it, and it's wonderful. There are things I really like about the iBook but in my personal experience, Macs are already quite a bit slower than PCs, so I didn't want to further hinder my experience by getting the iBook. This was my main deciding factor in getting the Powerbook.

I'd say if you can afford the Powerbook, do it. I LOVE mine.

OP
K

Kananigirl

Thanks!

I'm thinking of buying more RAM at Crucial, unless there are other places to get it at? I really do want a new laptop, I love the way the powerbooks look. I was thinking in the long run the powerbook would last me longer. I'd be happy with anything 1 gHz. I'm on a P3 700 mHz Dell with Windows '98. :p So I figure Apple anything would be good.

OP
S

section31

Just got my 12" powerbook with the superdrive 2 days ago and love it. Gonna upgrade the ram but can't decide if I want to fork over the dough for the whole gig.

OP
T

TylerMoney

yeah, though even an iBook would be much faster than a p3 700..much faster.

OP
K

Kananigirl

Yeeeeep, I figure anything out now is faster than this stupid P3 700 mHz computer. It's okay for surfing the net, but not for PS and some other stuff. I'm going to reformat the HD and put XP professional. My dad will get this computer when I get my new laptop.

I can't wait to get a Powerbook! I've always been a PC user, but it looks like a good time to switch.

OP
K

KLank

Osiris22x said:
Yep, I just got the new Powerbook two days ago. I love it! I previously had the 1 GHz model, but it was so new that Apple swapped me for the new one for free.
How did you manage that? How long did you have the old Powerbook? I got mine less than a month ago!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
KLank said:
How did you manage that? How long did you have the old Powerbook? I got mine less than a month ago!

Less than a month? March into the nearest Apple store and switch yours for a new one!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kananigirl said:
Thanks!

I'm thinking of buying more RAM at Crucial, unless there are other places to get it at? I really do want a new laptop, I love the way the powerbooks look. I was thinking in the long run the powerbook would last me longer. I'd be happy with anything 1 gHz. I'm on a P3 700 mHz Dell with Windows '98. :p So I figure Apple anything would be good.

Nope, you're dead on. Crucial is the best place to get RAM, and so far is the best price I've found. I got a 256 MB stick, but I'm starting to see that it wasn't enough so I'm going to guy a 512 stick to replace it soon.

I also agree that a Powerbook is going to last you longer in the end. They're not quite as drop-proof as the iBooks but they certainly are faster and have more options.

I'm sort of in your boat, this is my first Mac as well. I've been a PC users for the past 10 years. Let us know when ya get it. :)

OP
K

Kananigirl

Thanks! I plan on getting it in about 2 or 3 months. I could get it now, but I want to save up some more money. My brother is buying the new 12" ibook today or so. 15 % off is SWEET!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I just love the compactness of the 12. The display is big enough and I think it's the sweetest notebook there is! But that and OS X with the terminal in that sweet book! It doesn't get any better!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kananigirl said:
Thanks! I plan on getting it in about 2 or 3 months. I could get it now, but I want to save up some more money. My brother is buying the new 12" ibook today or so. 15 % off is SWEET!

Also, make sure that you use the education discount. If you're not a student, find somebody who is, and use their student status for a discount. I saved around $300 this way.

OP
K

Kananigirl

Osiris22x said:
Also, make sure that you use the education discount. If you're not a student, find somebody who is, and use their student status for a discount. I saved around $300 this way.

Thanks! I'm getting it cheaper than the Student Discount. People who work for Apple can get 15% off for family and friends, while Student is only 10% off. I looked at the Education store on Apple's site to see how much the discount is.

OP
K

Kananigirl

Yeeeeep! That's the best! 15% is cheaper than the Student discount, which is just great! I want my laptop now...I don't know how much I can wait. *L*

Thanks for everyone's help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kananigirl said:
Yeeeeep! That's the best! 15% is cheaper than the Student discount, which is just great! I want my laptop now...I don't know how much I can wait. *L*

Thanks for everyone's help.

Heh, I kinda had that problem too. I told myself that I was going to wait a couple months and save a little money, even though I already had enough for it. Well, the very next night I said "ack, screw it" and I ran down to the Apple store and bought my new Powerbook. I really REALLY don't regret it. I love this thing, and it goes everywhere with me, school, work, around town....everywhere!

OP
K

Kananigirl

Yep, I'm on the verge of just going to tell my friend I want it now. *L* I have to resist, save, save, save, save....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.