Finder Preferences

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right section. . .

I recently downloaded Onyx and it somehow changed my 'Finder' preferences. When I click on my HD icon on my desktop it starts my 'Finder' from my HD. It'll open the Finder window without the desktop, applications, documents, movies, music, and pictures on the farthest left column (I hope this makes sense).

If I open a new 'Finder' window everything will be back to normal and the window will begin from my Home. Is there anyway I can turn it back to my original setting?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i thought that's how it normally is. maybe i'm wrong, i usually never start finder by clicking the HD icon on the desktop.

what should work, is to open finder from the HD icon, then change any prefs you want, and then close it right away before browsing anywhere else.
next time you open it, it should remember those last settings.

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right section. . .

I recently downloaded Onyx and it somehow changed my 'Finder' preferences. When I click on my HD icon on my desktop it starts my 'Finder' from my HD. It'll open the Finder window without the desktop, applications, documents, movies, music, and pictures on the farthest left column (I hope this makes sense).

If I open a new 'Finder' window everything will be back to normal and the window will begin from my Home. Is there anyway I can turn it back to my original setting?

Click on your HD icon and if the Finder window that opens resembles the one in my attachment then click on the button that the arrow is pointing to.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
u can just drag all those folder to the left column if u want

OP
Y
Reaction score
Hmm, when I open my 'Finder' by clicking on the HD icon on my desktop the Sidebar is being covered up for some reason. I dragged/moved the little circle to the left and my Sidebar appears like it originally did. Its working now and hopefully it will save my preferernce.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.