Just added the 3rd GB of Memory....WOW....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
So 4gb lets get crazy posible or point less i know the cpu and stuff limits ram so the extra gb is point less if you are limeted at 3.

But as the macbook and macbook pro's get a bost from having the same ram in each slot would 2gb sticks be best in both a macbook and mac book pro?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So 4gb lets get crazy posible or point less i know the cpu and stuff limits ram so the extra gb is point less if you are limeted at 3.

But as the macbook and macbook pro's get a bost from having the same ram in each slot would 2gb sticks be best in both a macbook and mac book pro?

Unless you actually need the extra capacity afforded by 3GB, then yes - two matched 1GB modules will yield better performance IF you're never exceeding 2GB of memory utilization.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Ive been wanting to add more ram for sometime now, I do A LOT at once (multiple windows in safari, iphoto, photoshop, adium, mail, etc)

plus, i play world of warcraft which takes a whole lot of memory. anyways- i have 1g atm,

ive looked online and it looks like a bunch of greek to me there are too many choices! how do i know what is a ok brand? I want to put 2 2g sticks but I always want to go for the ridiculous. Im sure 2g is enough?

What to do?!?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive been wanting to add more ram for sometime now, I do A LOT at once (multiple windows in safari, iphoto, photoshop, adium, mail, etc)

plus, i play world of warcraft which takes a whole lot of memory. anyways- i have 1g atm,

ive looked online and it looks like a bunch of greek to me there are too many choices! how do i know what is a ok brand? I want to put 2 2g sticks but I always want to go for the ridiculous. Im sure 2g is enough?

What to do?!?

2GB should be OK. Check out http://www.crucial.com, they offer top quality memory, lifetime warranty and guarantee compatibility if you use their memory selector utility on their site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
2GB should be OK. Check out http://www.crucial.com, they offer top quality memory, lifetime warranty and guarantee compatibility if you use their memory selector utility on their site.

very helpful thanks.

it says on there that I have 2 slots that are 1g max each... hhmmm 2 should be fine then :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
very helpful thanks.

it says on there that I have 2 slots that are 1g max each... hhmmm 2 should be fine then :p

Yup, there are two slots, but I've read that it is possible to actually add up to 3GB. Personally, it's my belief that 2GB is more than enough for most users. When you start to get into heavy-duty apps, development and that sort of thing, you can never have enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17
1 GB should be fine....

Something I always keep in mind, is that most people who may download a program or two from the net. Will eventually download programs that will have memory leaks. This includes mainstream products like Firefox, Entourage etc.

Then again most people who use computers don't even know what a memory leak is or how to check for one.

Basically I like having my computer maxed out if possible...that way I know I can do what I want with less restriction in the future.

What is memory leaks? and how do I check for one?

Reaction score
I thought the MacBook Pro supports up to 4GB?

And instructions for installing additional memory is in the manual Apple included in the box

Also, unless you really run heavy intensive stuff like photoshop or iMovie everyday, I don't really think there is a need. I am ok with running dreamweaver and Vmware fusion and a few safari on 1Gb ram
(my CPU is 2.16GHZ)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.