Just added the 3rd GB of Memory....WOW....

Reaction score
Well I was running into some issues with trying to run Vista in parallels, with only 2 MB, things were REALLY slow.

So I was thinking about buying a 2GB stick from newegg for a while. So I took the plunge.

2GB Patriot Stick for $219 from Newegg. I live in souther cali so it was next day delivery, for ground price.

Put it in today and things are just flying.

The system thrives on more memory.

Now for the records I added the extra memory for the ability to run Vista, not because the macbook needed it.

Anyway, that stick was so cheap, I had to do it.

Everything runs at 667 MHz. The other stick is the stock Samsung that apple put in there.

I give my recommendations for anyone thinking about doing it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
How about when just using OSX, any noticeable differences there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
What are the specs on your MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i had the opportunity to try a 2gb stick for free for a total of 3gb.

for day to day stuff, no way there is a difference from my 2gb.

as for photoshop and stuff, only if you use the extra ram. which i never do.

conclusion: dont waste the money on the 3gb total.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
i had the opportunity to try a 2gb stick for free for a total of 3gb.

for day to day stuff, no way there is a difference from my 2gb.

as for photoshop and stuff, only if you use the extra ram. which i never do.

conclusion: dont waste the money on the 3gb total.

I agree with Day to Day stuff you are not going to see anything that is very different.

If you need to run 2 OS's, parallels, vmware, etc. It is MORE then useful.If you are running photoshop, etc..I can see it being VERY useful.

I also find it very useful when ripping dvd's with handbrake, or mac the ripper.

When using iDVD or iMovie it is also very useful.

So I would not call it a waste of money.

Reaction score
So, how much memeory does OS X need to run smoothly and quickly? Is 1GB enough fr normal things or is 2GB needed?

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
So, how much memeory does OS X need to run smoothly and quickly? Is 1GB enough fr normal things or is 2GB needed?

1 GB should be fine....

Something I always keep in mind, is that most people who may download a program or two from the net. Will eventually download programs that will have memory leaks. This includes mainstream products like Firefox, Entourage etc.

Then again most people who use computers don't even know what a memory leak is or how to check for one.

Basically I like having my computer maxed out if possible...that way I know I can do what I want with less restriction in the future.

Reaction score
Thanks! I am familiar with the huge hunger Windows has for memory and am using 2GB but expected OSX to need less.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
Will I ever be able to add 3GB to my macbook?

NEVER!!!

Yes of course you can. all you need to do is remove the battery (which pops out) and unscrew the 4 screws you will see. Then remove the cover and there you go. VERY easy and harmless.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
Thanks! I am familiar with the huge hanger Windows has for memory and am using 2GB but expected OSX to need less.

It does need less. What I ran into is that I had 2 GB total. I set parallels for 1 GB FOR XP OR VISTA when they were running. Leaving only 1 GB for the main OSX system.

Well normally I have about 10 programs opened so it ate that up pretty quickly.

That was my situation.

Now I always have about 775 MB to 1 GB free.

Reaction score
OK, just double checking, but you're saying I can upgrade my macbook to 3GB? Once I get your response I'm going to check out the removing battery suggestion... I'm assuming there's another slot there for an additional stick? I wasn't aware of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
The macbook has 2 memory slots so you would need 1x2gb Card and a 1x1GB card with matching speeds. I have heard that the macbook supports 3gb because the intel core 2 duos support it so it shouldn't be a problem. So if you currently have 2gb of ram in your macbook you'd basically lose one since there'd be no where to put it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The macbook has 2 memory slots so you would need 1x2gb Card and a 1x1GB card with matching speeds. I have heard that the macbook supports 3gb because the intel core 2 duos support it so it shouldn't be a problem. So if you currently have 2gb of ram in your macbook you'd basically lose one since there'd be no where to put it.

Do all MacBooks take 3GB? I was of the understanding that the Core Duos could only address 2GB - and if not, I wonder if I could do 3GB in my MBP CD. I was under the impression I was limited to 2GB.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
Do all MacBooks take 3GB? I was of the understanding that the Core Duos could only address 2GB - and if not, I wonder if I could do 3GB in my MBP CD. I was under the impression I was limited to 2GB.

If you look at the tech specs on apples website it shows that max is 3GB...I am wondering if 4 might actually work :)

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
OK, just double checking, but you're saying I can upgrade my macbook to 3GB? Once I get your response I'm going to check out the removing battery suggestion... I'm assuming there's another slot there for an additional stick? I wasn't aware of this.

For the record, we are talking macbook pro...not a regular macbook right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.