• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Todd's Mac-Forum's Reputation FAQ

Reaction score
By request ...

Todd's Mac-Forum's Reputation FAQ

1. What is Rep?

Reputation or "Rep" is the only real measure of a person's value as a human being. The amount of Rep you have determines everything about your future. Women swoon and men weep at the sight of someone with lots of Rep. Conversely, if you have low or (heavens forbid, negative) rep, you aren't worthy to be here ... or, in some people's opinion, go on living.

2. How do I get Rep?

Bzzzt, wrong question, Sport. Asking for Rep will usually result in you getting negative ("Neg") Rep. Your Rep level probably just dipped below zero just for reading this FAQ. Loser.

3. How can I give someone else Rep?

See, now you're thinking. You give Rep by clicking on the little icon that looks like it has two x's in it, at the bottom left corner of a post.

Picture_3.png

(it's the one in the middle)

When you do that, a dialog box will come up allowing you to pick positive (good) or negative (bad) Rep to bestow. It will also allow you to add a little message so the person receiving Rep can know why you gave it to him.

(click for larger image)

4. Will the person who gets Rep from me know it's from me?

Only if you tell him. People with spines always sign their name when they give Rep, positive or negative. Some folks wimp out and give Neg Rep anonymously, for which they deserve much Neg Rep themselves.

5. What are the little green or red bars underneath a person's post count?

That indicates how much positive (green) or negative (red) Rep the member has accumulated. Until you have at least three green bars, your opinions are meaningless and you are not entitled to any attention or respect from anyone. Seriously, you shouldn't even post. Of course, the only way to get Rep is to post, so it's a catch-22. Sucks to be you.

6. How do I know when someone gives me Rep?

Don't worry about it, odds are they never will. But, since you got all sorts of Neg Rep for asking how to earn rep, you can go to your Profile and see a list of all the Rep you've received.

A green dot means you got positive Rep. Don't expect to see this often. If you're so clueless you need a Rep FAQ odds are you have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this forum (or society in general). The amount you get depends on the person who gave it to you. Cool people with lots of Rep, like me, bestow many points every time one of us deigns to bother with you peasants.

A grey dot means you got no Rep. Either the person who sent you the Rep hasn't been here long enough (like you) or it's someone with negative rep (like you now, doofus). They can send you a Rep message but it doesn't actually affect your total Rep score.

A red dot means that someone -- often me -- didn't like your attitude, your hair color, or the way you pronounce "tomato" and so decided to teach you some manners. Your total Rep score goes down when someone -- often me -- gives you Neg Rep. But face it, you deserve it.

Any other questions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
I am afraid to ask. lol

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
+rep!

especialy for this bit:
"Only if you tell him. People with spines always sign their name when they give Rep, positive or negative. Some folks wimp out and give Neg Rep anonymously, for which they deserve much Neg Rep themselves."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have a question to add. Does rep expire? I just took another look at my rep list and it's a lot shorter than it was a week ago.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the rep notes disappear. the points do not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Even when I have to criticize a post I give a green rep., and also my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I'm sorry for adding to this post as I know that I only have 2 green rep. dot points but I just had to do so. Very funny. However I'm not too sure that they really mean that I am a worthless person who begs your forgivness for daring to say so, exhalted one. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
haha nice post...wat ur saying about that less than three dot thing is all to true :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Reputation or "Rep" is the only real measure of a person's value as a human being.
Virtual Rep
icon14.gif
as I cannot give you more for now. ^_^

Hey Mr. Greenbar, what gives? You left out mention of Virtual Rep! :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Todd, you are my hero. Very funny!

Reaction score
It doesn't make my life complete

Honest ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
How do I get my reps in the government to respond to my emails?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
7. Creating satire-humor-based threads about asking for rep
Do not do this. People will not get the satire. A drop in 30 rep points will result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Do not do this. People will not get the satire. A drop in 30 rep points will result.

hhahahahhaha :D

OP
ToddG
Reaction score

If it makes you feel any better, one person gave me Neg Rep for this thread, too. :bomb: And about a dozen gave me positive Rep, so it all balanced out fine.

Thanks, guys! :ninja:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
If it makes you feel any better, one person gave me Neg Rep for this thread, too. :bomb: And about a dozen gave me positive Rep, so it all balanced out fine.

Thanks, guys! :ninja:
(Now able to give real rep!)

I wouldn't worry about the humor impared or the intellectually challenged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.