Is my new Airport defective?

Reaction score
I recently purchased both an Airport Express and an Airport Extreme. (One to play the music, one to access the music on an external hard drive.)

I set up the Express first, not knowing whether I wanted to unwrap the Extreme and keep it. After deciding I wanted to keep it, I took it out of the box and tried to configure it with my Express network. I know this is backwards, and I couldn't find any good instructions online about this.

So I decided to set up a new network, beginning with the Extreme, and then sync my Express to that network. However, when I plug my Ethernet cable into the Extreme, it blinks amber and doesn't work.

Is there any explanation for this other than a defective Airport Extreme?

Sidenote question: I play my iTunes through my stereo wirelessly with the Express. However, I can't figure out how to get other audio (i.e. YouTube, Quicktime, etc.) to play through my stereo. It defaults to the computer. What should I do?

Thanks.

Steven

Reaction score
for the sidenote question, airtunes only works with itunes music, to play any other audio from your computer you need additional software, i know there is a free one but i cant remember what it is called. if you are playing videos over it the audio wont match the video because it is delayed so that is pointless anyway

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.