Download Manager

Reaction score
Download manager?

Hi guys,

I'm after a good freeware download manager for my iMac...
I've been using the Speed Download demo but have found that it's bit the most user-friendly format in the world. And now the demo's run out I need to pay for it anyway!

Any advice? What do you use?

Thanks mac buddies.

x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is not an answer to your question, in fact it is another question that I have always had...

what *is* a download manager and why do I need one? To download things, I click on links in web pages, or go to FTP sites, or use wget or... all of these work fine. What does a download manager add to this?

Sorry to be stupid... I have just never understood. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
This is not an answer to your question, in fact it is another question that I have always had...

what *is* a download manager and why do I need one? To download things, I click on links in web pages, or go to FTP sites, or use wget or... all of these work fine. What does a download manager add to this?

Sorry to be stupid... I have just never understood. Thanks.
You really would only need a download manager if you have a dial up connection. A download manager, in its very basic sense, keeps a record of your files as they are downloaded. It saves the progress so if you are unlucky enough to lose your connection in the middle of a large download, you can go to your download manager upon reconnection and simply pick up where you left off, rather than starting the download all over from the begining.
If you have a high-speed connection, then the download manager really loses much of its worthiness or benefit as there is no need to worry about a large download taking an extremely long time to complete.

Personally, I have never found the need for one.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thanks D3v1L80Y, the explanation is much appreciated!

OP
U
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find a freeware download manager for mac. that's good.

There's some excellent stuff knocking about for PC – there must be one for Mac! What do you guys use?

Help me out! My housemate keeps using the lack of decent DM as ammunition for his argument that PCs are better. Help me prove him wrong!

Ta,
xxx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ANY computer running Mac OS or Windows, with a decent and fast connection won't need a download manager. All they really do is take up space and bloat the system anyway, IMO.

And why even argue about what system or OS is better? It is a futile argument as "better" can only be determined by personal preference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.