New Powerbook released just after I bought mine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I was a little peeved when I went to apple.com and saw the new more powerful Powerbooks released just two months after I got my spanking new laptop. Anyway, I went into the Apple store and no questions asked they handed me a brand new 1.33 GHz model!!! I had to pay the restocking fee, however since I was also returning my Airport card (new Powerbooks all have Airport built-in) I ended up spending $60 total, for the newer Powerbook. I was happy as ****. So now I've got 33% more power, twice the video memory, a faster front side bus, 20 gigs more HD space, and built-in Airport Extreme. :)

On the downside, I got my new Powerbook home about an hour ago only to find that the CD-Rom drive is dying, it makes horrible noises. This is the second one I've heard like this, we had to return my girlfriend's first Powerbook for the same reason. So...this one will be going back first thing in the morning for one with a working CD drive.

Aside from the fact that I think Apple's quality control sucks (returned 50% of their products so far, for malfunctions, including an iPod) I'm ecstatic with their customer service. They have ALWAYS replaced my stuff no questions asked, after testing it and confirming the problem. They've always been incredibly nice to me, and very patient.

Despite the faulty drive, I'm still a very happy camper. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Awesome to hear! I agree their QA is severaly lacking these days, and from some threads it even sounds like their CS is not doing so well either, but then we get threads like these that really brighten the outlook on Apple's CS and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

T

tekno_geek911

Wow! They let you return a 2 month old PB for a new one? I thought it was only 10 days?

OP
Osiris22x
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
tekno_geek911 said:
Wow! They let you return a 2 month old PB for a new one? I thought it was only 10 days?

You'd be surprised how far a little flirting with the female management, can get you. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Osiris22x said:
I was a little peeved when I went to apple.com and saw the new more powerful Powerbooks released just two months after I got my spanking new laptop. Anyway, I went into the Apple store and no questions asked they handed me a brand new 1.33 GHz model!!! I had to pay the restocking fee, however since I was also returning my Airport card (new Powerbooks all have Airport built-in) I ended up spending $60 total, for the newer Powerbook. I was happy as ****. So now I've got 33% more power, twice the video memory, a faster front side bus, 20 gigs more HD space, and built-in Airport Extreme. :)

*drops second PB17*

P

PC HATER

****,AFTER TWO MONTHS. HMM I WONDER IF THEY WILL LET ME TURN MY IPOD BACK IN IT HAS HAD SCREAN PROBLEMS ITS BEEN REAL FUZZY. AND DIM i HOPE i DID NOT BUY IT FROM THE APPLE STORE

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I wish Apple would give me a working hard drive. I deserve a new PowerBook because I have had nothing but trouble with this PowerBook. It makes me so angry.
My hard drive used to need to be reformatted every other week. Now my new one needs a reformat every night.
I hate my PowerBook. Maybe my dad will give me his... yeah. I need sleep now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That certainly shouldn't be happening. I have never needed a format on my desktop, and my bro never on his iBook

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Yeah well, it's happening.
Plus I have a lot of dead pixels. One was on the PowerBook when I got it. I'm pissed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Absolute Zero said:
Yeah well, it's happening.
Plus I have a lot of dead pixels. One was on the PowerBook when I got it. I'm pissed.

I got my powerbook around the same time as you and have not had a single problem with pixels or hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Got mine about the same time too (17") and have no dead pixels or any other problem. I hate that dead pixels are not something that they will replace a screen for but that's the way it is. I would be upset if my new $3000 computer had burned out pixels.

Sounds like your computer may have more problems than pixels. Something is corrupting the harddrive. If you are lucky, they will replace your laptop with a new one if it's something really bad.

M

Mouse26

I had the same problem when I bought an ibook then just a couple of weeks later they released the new line.

Rather than just snigger at my misfortune though, the customer service girl was amazingly nice to me and I ended up getting a new powerbook for just a little more than I spent on my iBook. Not only that but they called me back afterwards to make sure I was satisfied and that I was coping with my new Mac after switching from a PC.

After years of having to deal with squat, surly, I.T. Nazi's from my local PC store, Apple customer service was a breath of fresh air and another good reason why I'll not be going back to a pc anytime soon. That's in the UK though, so I'm not sure if it's different in the States?

G

G4Power

thats awesome that you got to trade in for it. My PB is the first version with the black keyboard and honestly i like it more than the new one. Its just cleaner with the ports and everything in the back with the cover and not on the side and i just think it looks better overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Wow a 1Ghz Tibook, sweet *drool* :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.