Unable to read DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White, Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz, 2 GB Ram, 100GB HD
Hey everyone,
my PowerPC G5 just started having this problem a few days ago.

I popped in a store bought DVD into my computer it automatically says (and never mounts):
"the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"
This particular disk has worked in the past and still works in other DVD players.
The disk currently works on my computer when I use VLC, so I know the drive isn't busted, it's something software related. It reads CDs fine, and I can even create DVDs in this drive, it just won't read DVDs. Also, it will read my os x DVD, just not movies.

I've tried (to no avail):
updating all software
resetting/zapping the NVRAM and the PRAM
mounting the disk with disk utility
verifying and repairing the disk with disk utility

I don't know what else to do! Please help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
hmm....are u out of warranty? sounds like a hardware problem apple can fix....worst comes to worst, get an external drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I had that exact problem. And I did a full hard drive permissions repair and it fixed the problem.

And I have to do it every so often ad the problem reappears. But it's no biggie. Thigs could be worse.

Reaction score
Do you use Lexar USB flash drives? Some of them install software that can mess up your ability to read DVDs. Do a search for LexarFilterScheme.kext on your computer, delete that file if you have it, then your DVD drive will work.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for your help so far!

I tried repairing permissions... to no avail
I do have a lexar flash drive, but I couldn't find that file, would there be any other files that might interfere?

Reaction score
Not sure where you were looking but this is the directory path for the kext file.

/System -> Library -> Extensions -> LexarFilterScheme.kext

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that worked!! Thank You Thank You Thank You

Reaction score
5 years after...

macbook pro retina with mountain lion 10.8.3:
i had exactly this problem ( dvd - usbsticks - bd ) and could not find the solution for months.

thank you thank you !

perhaps apple could do better in collecting such hints ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
perhaps apple could do better in collecting such hints ...

Not an Apple problem! The problem and fault belongs to Lexar and their poor testing and implementation. Avoid buying Lexar flash drives in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.