weak signal on airport extreme?

M

mkko

i just got an airport extreme card to my ibook and now i'm wondering, why is the signal so weak? i tried to connect to the network at our school's library, but had luck only near one of the access points. i have a buffalo wbr-g45 at home and it doesn't work too well either. even if i went as near the access point as possible, the signal level shown in the internet connection isn't higher than 6 or 7, when 15 is the top.

i'm wondering if this is normal. i can't even leave my room without breaking the signal. i have updated everything possible to maximize, but no results. i'd appreciate if someone could help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Maybe there is a not so good connection to your antenna, is the battery in good charge?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
witeshark said:
Maybe there is a not so good connection to your antenna

I agree. Try removing and reinstalling the card, and make sure the antenna is plugged in securely. I use a Airport card (not Extreme) in my iBook, and I get excellent reception, even though my router is on the 3rd floor of the house and my iBook is in the basement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I know that Apple improved the antenna placement so that should help on newer books

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
OP
T

TylerMoney

mine does seem to not be as good downstairs as it use to be..which is quite upsetting...this update was supose to make wireless work better..wasn't it?

OP
N

nesuser2

Signal always travel up better than down. It's a shame too, cuz it seems to me that most people always want to go down. Or maybe that's the only kind I hear about because people only like to tell me when it doesn't work. (Networking IT) haha, that's my two cents anyways.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Note: This is really off topic... but I don't care.
Violence said:
The recent updates seem to be causing problems for people.
VIOLENCE! I'm like, accidently stalking you!
Jeeze, your everywhere man!
But anyway, to the topic. I'm like right next to my base station right now and only have 2-3 bars. Updates can suck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.