The Official "How To Transfer Your iPod or iTunes Library to Your New Mac" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
senuTi iPod Program

Hello there. I'm an iMac newbie, having finally gotten an iMac this year to go along with the 3 year-old iPod a friend gave me and the AirPort given to me last year as a present. Like many on this thread, I had my entire mp3 library lost when my old computer bought the farm. While I was able to retrieve the actual mp3 files, anything I had done to categorize them (correct artist name and spelling, etc.) was lost forever. Fortunately, everything was still on my old 30gb iPod!

I've read many here speak of senuTi and how it's helped restore their files to iTunes and even how it's helped some of you restore your playlists. I never got that far and never created playlists, but I would like to make sure that the titles and artist info as I originally edited them into iTunes (and then copied onto the iPod) copied as well.

I'm terrified of losing everything while I do this and want to make sure I do everything right the first time. Can anyone give me some pointers? Feel free to talk down to me as after playing around with PCs for nearly 20 years, I feel like I'm starting all over again!

Thank you.

Reaction score
so... when using my iPod as a flash device it dosent matter that it is formatted for Windows when transfering music to my new iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13.3" 2.4Ghz
HI i know this thread has been inactive for a while but if i know if i post this elsewhere ill get replies saying how i should look before asking rather than replies actually answering my questions, so here it goes,
i have a 30gb ipod (like 4 years old), and my entire library is in it.
a couple of months ago the computer i had all my music on passed. so im now stuck with a four year old ipod as the only backup of my beloved music, and i just feel im against the clock here.

whenever i wanted to transfer something from an ipod to a friends computer i would use idump, which worked great, is there a mac version of it?
if there isnt a mac idump, the OP is from more than a year back, is senuti still valid as a choice? is it up to date? wont it freeze in the middle of the 30gig transfer?

i already did the itunes transfer, but that just transferred the purchases (and lets face it, theyre nothing compared to the amount of music i have)
i have entire discographies which i ripped off of friends CDs and some P2Ping.

i just need someones aproval before i start using senuti, would some1 please give me the aok? or recommend something else? sweet!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.0Ghz, 2GB, 160GB
Senuti only lets you transfer 1000 songs on the free trial, then you have to buy a license to use it more. I used a program called iPod View for the rest. Both were slightly glitchy, and I had to quit and re-open the applications a couple of times after every couple of hundred tracks, but the job is done now, and it works fine.

Now, does anyone know if I can pull the photos from my 2005-ish 30GB iPod Photo?

Reaction score
I am a iTouch newbie when it comes to moving my music from my old device to my new 32gb iTouch arriving tomorrow. It is synced with my PC but I bought some of the songs and others were recored from CD. Some of the CD's I no longer have. I do have a wireless network set up at the house and office.

So what would be the best way for me to get my music moved to my new iTouch 2G?

Reaction score
I've been in the process of transferring my music from my iPod 30g to my MacBook's new hard drive using Senuti. Some of the files weren't working and Senuti kept freezing, so I quit both iTunes and Senuti and unplugged my iPod. When I plugged my iPod back in to begin transferring again (holding down the Option and Command keys), I got the classic error message: iTunes cannot read the contents of my iPod and wants me to restore it to factory settings. If I restore, I will lose over 6000 songs!! I've tried resetting the iPod by holding down the center and Menu buttons and I've tried plugging it into a wall charger and an iHome before connecting it to the computer again.

How can I transfer the music files from my iPod to my MacBook without restoring? Help!!

Reaction score
Ipod classic

My pc crashed and i had it recently repaired, and ive reinstalled itunes, but the itunes library with all my songs in it has been erased so when i plug my ipod into itunes, it asks me if i want to format/wipe my ipod so it works with the new itunes.. how can i put all my songs back into the itunes library and how can i prevent my ipod audio content from being erased to make it work with the new itunes program ?
I have not got a Mac pc.. just a basic IBM Pc

Im new to this forum, not sure how to post a question .

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Backing up iTunes to External Hard Drive

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to back up my iTunes library, playlists, the lot from my iMac direct to an External Hard Drive rather than DVD - I currently need 8 DVDs and it takes loads of time. EHD would be much quicker.

Many thanks.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 Memory, 500GB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
what do I do when I upgrade my HD? how do I transfer all my music and how do I keep my playlists intact along with all the album artwork.

Reaction score
One way to back up your iTunes Library is to consolidate your library into one folder and then copy that folder to an external hard drive.This is a painless process that only takes a few moments to accomplish.

Reaction score
i downloaded senuti and it was fine but then when i insert my ipod itunes comes up and senuti dosent do anything... i cant transfer my music or anything.. what the heck!!

Reaction score
I just turn my iPod into an external disk by putting it into disk mode and copy the iTunes files, this includes the library files (playlists), artwork and of course songs. really simple.

John

Reaction score
One way to back up your iTunes Library is to consolidate your library into one folder and then copy that folder to an external hard drive.This is a painless process that only takes a few moments to accomplish.

For those who used an External Hard Drive to transfer their iTunes library, how has it turned out on the other, or new, computer that the files were transferred to? I'm looking at PC to Mac... any issues to expect??

Reaction score
Since this is the official thread, I figured I should post my request here for the easiest method to date on transferring my iTunes library from my old PC to my brand new Mac Mini.

And will I need to do anything special to the iTunes in my MM for it to recognize my Touch? Will I still be able to use my Touch on both iTunes (PC and Mac)?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
Like a champ, worked great! Thanks.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Reaction score
op, geez, it's an old thread, but we got a new 3G Iphone and hundreds of songs on our older Imac.. G4, PowerPC we badly want to transfer the music from our IMac onto our new Iphone, but when we plug in the Iphone into the computer, it doesn't show an Iphone icon on the desktop (though it does for the IPhoto, so don't know what's going on?) and so won't let us transfer the songs from the puter onto the IPhone!
What's wrong here?

Also any good websites or forums that will give you step by step instructions on how to use your Iphone 3G and the apps you can use for free?
TIA

Look forward to the members response.. have a good one..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.