The Official "How To Transfer Your iPod or iTunes Library to Your New Mac" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to transfer the ipod content to a PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Easy way to transfer ??

Quick summary: Old PC crashes & burns. Fortunately had all my music files on back up hard drive.
Two glitches. One many of the tracks on my PC library were encoded in WMA. When I attached the hard drive, to transfer the music to the new Imac, worked like a charm, except the WMA tunes were ignored.

Number two: Spent the last week installing Rhapsody on my daughters PC laptop. Technical glitches galore were not allowing me to re-download my hundreds of purchased tracks. Finally after hours with tech support, the tracks again are mine (at least to the extent DRM :Angry: allows).

Question number 2: Is there an easier way to convert the tracks from realaudio to a method that would allow me load them to Itunes? Burning 800 tracks to disc, and manually entering track info will take forever. I noticed someone mentioned doing it through network connections, and playing the tune copies to Itunes library. Can I set up the PC as a network computer?

One last related item. Some of the tracks I imported from my backup drive, I would like to change the genre. Is there a way to make a bulk change? I know in the PC I could select all, and make the change. Have not found a way other than clicking each individual track to edit the settings.

Thanks

Reaction score
Try this software "bestshareware/ipodaccessmac" (outdated link removed) iPod Access v4 Mac OS X[/URL]should you find yourself needing to put your buddy's iPod content on your new Mac.

Reaction score
Any album art I had on my PC was automatically transferred along with the songs to my Mac. I didn't have to do anything special.
What about all your playlists in Itunes? Do I have to do anything special to move them from one mac to another?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPhone & div.
hi
I have a 30gb ipod vid synced to a iMac and i want to transfer my library to my macbook but dose witch mac do i have to download this program to?

& dose it save the playlist's and play history 'count'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 15' T7200 1GRAM 80G White
I introduce you a software named ipodAccess
easy to use

Reaction score
I personally like Pod View and Yamipod. I started off using senuti but it started not transferring all of my music so I started looking once again and found these. I transferred 4000+ songs without hassle with Pod View and about 100 songs with Yamipod off of my shuffle. Also so the great thing about Yamipod is that it's for Macs and PCs

Reaction score
a good program i have found that helps u with ur playlists would be sharepod, however you need to have enough space on ur ipod and have acess to a windows comp. now just copy the playlists into folders, named appropriatly and then place into ipod. now plug into mac book and click and drag playlist files onto desktop and then import folders. i know thats a bit of a round about way of doing it but it works for me every time so i prefer to do it the long way and get it right rather than do it the short way and loose some stuff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMAC; iPAD; iPHONE 4s; iPOD Classics; Time Machine
thank you so much this worked great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air '13, Mid 2011, 128GB
Now you tell me :D

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I was deliberating whether I wanted to purchase a Mac or not based on if I could transfer my iTunes over without hassle.

This looks like a good solution and am very glad you posted it!

You have potentially swayed my decision to buy a Apple iMac. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.09 GHz 1 TB hardrive 2 GB RAM, Macbook 2.16 GHz 1 GB RAM, 8 GB iPod touch, 80GB ipodclsc
hey i just got my new imac today and its running 10.5 but when i tried using a firewire cable to transfer my music pics videos docs and preferences from my old imac running tiger it wouldn't let me is it because 10.5 wont transfer things from 10.4???

i also have an 80 GB ipod classic so is there any way to use it to transfer my music,pics,vidoes, and TV shows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I am surprised this wasn't posted here already... so here goes:

I just recently got the new iMac with Leopard for my dad. I wanted to transfer all my music to his iMac. Surprisingly it was as simple as 1,2,3... no extra software needed.

If you already have an iTunes account, then all you need to do is sign to iTunes on your new computer with the same credentials as the original account. Plug in your iPod that is Loaded with all your Music Purchases and iTunes will ask you what do you want to do. "Transfer Music from iPod" or "Erase and Sync iPod". Click on the "Transfer Music from iPod" and PRESTO, all the purchased songs and movies will be transfered on ur new Mac no problem.

Granted, this doesn't work for photos. Also, I am not sure but it might not work with music purchased from other sources than iTunes but I wouldn't know since I just deal with iTunes.

Also, I have some songs I got for free from other websites and those didn't transfer with that method.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
i have a ipod touch, how can i transfer the songs? senuti hasnt been working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
and is there anyway to have a disk mode on an ipod touch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can anyone help at al? come on....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gota love the help on this forum....

Reaction score
music from buddy's ipod to my itunes

I've read through this, but haven't really understood the best way to transfer music I have on my ipod (via my buddy's itunes) to my itunes.

I thought, after reading a post or two, that all i had to do was plug in and then i see maybe i need software.

Could someone help a novice out here with steps 1 2 and 3?

Thanks,
Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.