No Leopard? No problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ran into this handy little article today that describes the aftermarket utilities that perform almost exactly the same functions as the features touted in Leopard. I thought you might find this useful - particularly to point newbies toward who might have been waiting for Leopard to make the switch:

http://macnewsonline.com/wp/2007/04/18/no-leopard-no-problem/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That list really shows that Leopard, as it currently stands, isn't much of a compelling upgrade. Virtual desktops is the only really neat feature, and I've already got it in Tiger in the form of VirtueDesktops.

Let's hope WWDC brings some really good reasons to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
the creator of virtuedesktop said he isn't going to continue it, and the current version is quite buggy. I'll read the article later though

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That list really shows that Leopard, as it currently stands, isn't much of a compelling upgrade. Virtual desktops is the only really neat feature, and I've already got it in Tiger in the form of VirtueDesktops.

Let's hope WWDC brings some really good reasons to upgrade.

The rumor mill has it that there are a plethora of "top secret" features. My hope is that they introduce a little more customization of the GUI (in terms of colors, styles and themes). There are also plenty of rumors about improvements to Spotlight. Those who have been reading my posts for some time know that I really wish it had a more thorough "search everything" type of feature, where it actually dredges the entire drive including hidden and system files. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
No Leopard No cry!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The rumor mill has it that there are a plethora of "top secret" features. My hope is that they introduce a little more customization of the GUI (in terms of colors, styles and themes). There are also plenty of rumors about improvements to Spotlight. Those who have been reading my posts for some time know that I really wish it had a more thorough "search everything" type of feature, where it actually dredges the entire drive including hidden and system files. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with Tiger.

I read about a way from the Terminal to use Spotlight to search all the hidden and system files but it's been so long ago since I tried it, I forgot how! Will see if I can find it again. If so will post it here. It worked though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

Having seen Leopard in action (there are plenty of YouTube clips showing final release) it doesn't look as though there are any great surprises, but I'd love to be proven wrong. However better 64-bit support and optimised dual-core code will make it a great OS for the new C2D chips and probably a worthy upgrade.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read about a way from the Terminal to use Spotlight to search all the hidden and system files but it's been so long ago since I tried it, I forgot how! Will see if I can find it again. If so will post it here. It worked though.

Thanks, I did find this handy little app called EasyFind that does exactly what I'm describing. I just wish Spotlight had a checkbox or something that would force it to do a comprehensive search, rather than a simple query to its index.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Yes, Leopard has some features that are available now with 3rd party applications. But in Apple's way of doing things when they come out in Leopard they will be much better than a 3rd party add on, and more integrated into the OS.

Let's also not forget about all the new features Leopard has under the hood, just CoreAnimation alone is worth the upgrade.

Reaction score
Agreed. It's hard to say "everything from Leopard is available today" when we don't even know everything that will be in Leopard. :ninja:

Reaction score
The only compelling thing about Leopard right now to me is the system-wide TO-DO service. I find it quite silly right now that I can't create an iCal event from an eMail.

I'd love to have the ability to create an event and reference the Email message to it.

It's more stuff like this I want in Leopard, before I find myself forced into using Office 2008, which seems to be awfully attractive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.