• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Intel Penryn and the next Apple hardware refresh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
Intel's next major upgrade to their Core processors is due out later this year. Amongst other improvements, "Penryn" includes:

-High Cache- 6 or 12mb
-Higher Clock Speeds- 3.33ghz confirmed for quad core
-Higher FSB speed- Xeons up to perhaps 1666mhz from 1333mhz.
-Lower power usage and therefore lower temps.
-New intel technologies not available in "Conroe" Core 2 chips, such as SSE4.

Anandtech Coverage of Penryn

From initial benchmarks, it looks like there's a significant speed increase, higher than the expected increase with clockspeed (Up to 45% in CPU intensive tasks, claim Intel).

My guess is this will be part of the Mac Pro refresh. We all thought they'd bring out new Mac Pros, but instead only gave an 8 Core 3ghz one as an option. My guess is all Mac Pros will be 8 core, with 2.66, 3.00 and 3.33ghz configurations, or something similar. Then high end imacs will have quad core mobile Penryns, probably reaching the mid 2.0ghz, whilst leaving dual core for the lower end. I would guess the same for the MacBook and MacBooks pros.

It's interesting- with PowerPC chips, which would refresh in a matter of years, there would not be substantial upgrades to Apple hardware for some time. Now they're with Intel, who bring out product refreshes every few months, Apple may have some difficulty in staying at the bleeding edge. However, i think this is a significant enough upgrade to warrant a hardware refresh, at least for the Mac Pros.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My guess is that at some point in time, the Mac Pro will get a processor upgrade. This would be an upgrade to a CPU that has yet to be released, but is faster than the one it currently has.

I think I have a pretty good chance of this actually happening.
:black:

P.S. - This will probably happen to the notebook lines, too. I know its only a guess, but again, I am pretty sure I could end up being dead-on accurate with that estimation.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I'm pretty happy with the 8 x 3ghz cores in the latest Mac Pros. Just waiting for Leopard to be released and then about 6 months after that for all the bugs to be worked out :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.