20"or 24"?

Reaction score
I posted this over in Mac rumors and I’m moving it here. More appropriate?

I’m switching to A Mac from a PC in little over a month and I had decided on a 20" imac.
Now I find I have just enough in the budget for a 24" imac, but I will be running Boot camp & Parallels on it so I run a couple of Win programs that I need and I have heard about an issue with Windows XP and The 24"?
Could someone please advice and help me understand the issue?
This will help me determine whether I should stick with the 20" and max it out or get the 24" with just more ram and the better Video card?
Also I have read in the forums that the Video card in the 24" is much better? Any truth to that?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For starters, I don't see why there would be a problem running Windows on the 24" iMac compared to the 20" as they are both running the same type of hardware.

As for the video card issue, I found the following specs on Apple's website:

20" iMac: ATI Radeon X1600
24" iMac: nVidia 7300GT or 7600GT

The X1600 is better than the 7300GT, but on par with the 7600GT. So if you were to get the 24" model, be sure to get the 7600GT if you want the same graphics capability as the 20" iMac.

OP
L
Reaction score
For starters, I don't see why there would be a problem running Windows on the 24" iMac compared to the 20" as they are both running the same type of hardware.

As for the video card issue, I found the following specs on Apple's website:

20" iMac: ATI Radeon X1600
24" iMac: nVidia 7300GT or 7600GT

The X1600 is better than the 7300GT, but on par with the 7600GT. So if you were to get the 24" model, be sure to get the 7600GT if you want the same graphics capability as the 20" iMac.

:mac: :mac: :mac: I just found out the answer! It was an early problem with boot camp and the 24" and it has since been dealt with in an update!
And thanks for the advice on the video card!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
24" is a lot of screen for any graphics card so go with the more expensive card. If you are not planning on getting the nicer of the two cards, get the 20." I don't know how much larger the 24" screen actually looks compared to the 20" but 20" is all I can handle. ( I know it is 4" bigger but because it's a wide rectangle it really doesn't add 4" horizontally or vertically.)
I say this because I'd take a nicer graphics card over a larger monitor. The computer will handle more intense programs and videos and whatever else in the future and because of this I'd assume it would have a larger resale value if you could ever part with it.
Peace,
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 core2, 2gigs ram, 120gig HD / 24" iMac, 2.33 core 2, 2 gig, 256 grapics, 500hd
24" all the way... I have one and love it. You can never have enough screen. hahaha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3 350MHz, 256MB Ram, OS X 10.3.9
I would recommend getting the 24 incher, better becuase you get to see a bigger and prettier OS X. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.