keep windows share alive on mac

Reaction score
i am connecting my macbook os x 10.4 to a windows share on windows xp. How do I keep the connection alive, if I restart the mac? I have to remount the share every time i restart.

Reaction score
Drag the share icon from your Macs desktop into:

System Preferences -> Users -> YourUserAccount -> Login Items

So when you login the share will be mounted as long as the PC is on.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks. I tried this with the Win Share, and a Mac Application(Dreamweaver). When I restart the computer Dreamweaver starts automatically but the share is not connected automatically. I have to do it manually. Is it cause it tries to connect too soon... and the mac does not have the network set up yet? or some other reason?

Reaction score
I'm not sure kamilski81, it works perfectly for me .... If you can connect manually then it should work ... I'd try it again .. delete the login item and follow my instructions above to try it over again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'd probably not have DreamWeaver starting up automatically, it may take a bit of time to reconnect the share. It takes mine some seconds to connect.

OP
K
Reaction score
Would it matter if my login name on Mac is 'xyz' but on Windows it's 'abc'. Initially, when I setup the the share, i have to click 'Authenticate Again' cause my username is wrong every time. In other words, it uses 'xyz' as my default login.

how can i change my default login name for shares? this may solve something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I *think* having the same login name prevents it from asking for your username, if your authentication hasn't expired, but others can answer that better than me. I have the same username all over my network and most of the time it'll connect to shares either without asking for my name, or already having the correct one in the dialog box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.