Tabbing through selections?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB DDR3L RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Example: I have just finished a doc in TextEdit and i hit command+q to quit.

Question: Is there a way to tab from the dont save to save to cancel options?

thanks

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but if I don't want to save I just click on Command + D which will close the app without saving the doc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'm not sure, but if I don't want to save I just click on Command + D which will close the app without saving the doc.

The convention is (or was)
Return = default (blue) button
Command-. (period) = Cancel
Command + first letter of button activates the other option. Thus Command-D triggers Don't save.

Occasionally this doesn't hold true, but it works for TextEdit, AppleWorks, Word, Keynote, TextWrangler, and many others. The better ones actually show the shortcuts in the button when you press Command.

Reaction score
Excellent technologist! I learn something everyday. I very rarely need the cancel option as I'm usually saving or not saving, but it's good to remember there is a keyboard shortcut assigned albeit it won't always work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yes you CAN use tab to go through the buttons.

You have to turn this feature on though:
System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts
Turn Full keyboard access to "All controls"

Now you can tab betwen the buttons in the dialog boxes. Just look for the faint halo around the button, becuase the pulsing doesn't switch between buttons. Activate the halo'd button with the SPACE bar, because ENTER will always activate the default (pulsing) button.

Picture 2.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.