• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Leopard hardware requirements, does anyone know yet?

Reaction score
Has anyone heard if Leopard will require much more substantial hardware to run? Right now if I purchased a 20" imac with 2 gigs RAM is that going to be enough? I would think so but when Vista came out it wouldn't run on a lot of older machines.

What if anything has Apple said about the system requirements for 10.5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It should require anything more than the minimum standard hardware on any Mac currently being sold for 3 reasons, 1. Apple's computers aren't very customizable and it will need to run on any computer they sell at the release date, 2. there is hardly any chance for major changes in computer being sold by then, and 3. they would have to immediately pull the ad slamming Windows for it's relatively hefty hardware requirements for Vista.

That's just my guess. I don't think Apple would lay any special requirements on it's loyal customers. However, to get the full use of the 64 bit availability, you will need at least a C2D processor as far as I know.

EDIT: From the link:

You must have a Macintosh computer with:
an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 or G5 processor
a DVD drive
built-in FireWire
at least 256 MB of RAM for a Power-PC based Mac and 512 MB for an Intel-based Mac (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)
a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
at least 6 GB of disk space available, or 8 GB if you install the developer tools

That seems pretty minimal, but sounds about right. Great find!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There has been speculation that some of the late model G3 machines may be "unofficially" supported as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
There has been speculation that some of the late model G3 machines may be "unofficially" supported as well.

Some of the later G3's will probably run Leopard. It won't be fast or fully featured, but then G3's are dinosaurs and shouldn't really be running anything other than OS9 with claris works anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Some of the later G3's will probably run Leopard. It won't be fast or fully featured, but then G3's are dinosaurs and shouldn't really be running anything other than OS9 with claris works anyway.

I don't know, I heard otherwise and think that Apple should stop supporting those older machines and start focusing on building opearting systems strictly for the new technology, and only support G4s and newer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I don't know, I heard otherwise and think that Apple should stop supporting those older machines and start focusing on building opearting systems strictly for the new technology, and only support G4s and newer.

I so agree. Anyways those G3's run 10.3 just fine. And eevn today you can get away with that and still exist just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Man, that's funny!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I doubt I'll be installing it on my G4 450MHz Cube (w/1GB RAM) because even though Tiger works fine, it is very slightly slower than Panther (and same on my G3 iMac 400MHz). But they are both still perfectly usable for general basic tasks.

But I'd say a G4 would be the minimum and anything within the last 5 years or so should be ok (obviously with a decent amount of RAM).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 " Intel iMac, 60 GB 5th Gen iPod 12300+ Songs
but then G3's are dinosaurs and shouldn't really be running anything other than OS9

i had a G3 laptop with OSX Panther on it and it worked perfectly haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

I'm running 10.4.9 on my iBook G3 900MHz and it runs beautifully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 " Intel iMac, 60 GB 5th Gen iPod 12300+ Songs
Man i wasn't THAT excited for Leopard but just re-watched all the videos of the new features on Apple.com and I can NOT wait for the new iChat, Spaces and Time Machine - not to mention Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I remember when Tiger came out, I had a couple Powermac G3s and a 400 and 450Mhz Powermac G4 around. I had previously ran Panther on them, and when I upgraded to Tiger, they actually got faster! My powerbook (1.67Ghz) also sped up under Tiger. Although I doubt that I'll see the same speed increase with Leopard, I do hope that it doesn't slow me down much on my Powerbook.

At the same time...everything is so subjective and I can never figure out why some things seem to run faster or slower. The biggest one that gets me is that Aperture runs like a snail, and Final Cut Pro flies...I understand it's dependence on graphics card vs. cpu and other factors, but some things just don't quite add up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
that should be plently to run it. i think the best thing about Leopard is the new ZFS (Zettabyte File System) which means no more Hard-Drive Capacity Limits !!!...so i can finally stick some big 750Gb Hd's in my G5:flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
I don't think it's too much speculation to suggest that if you use timemachine it'll probably require more hard disk space

I'm going to hazard a guess that the video card specs will be upped which will mean that more G3 macs if not all will not be supported. It may still be possible to install it but 10.5 will run like a slug on them.

Note, I haven't used 10.5, and am guessing this mainly from the experience of using 10.4 on a 7 year old G4 tower

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.