Upgrading standard account to an Admin account

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently I was trying to install World of Warcraft on my old G5 iMac in my dorm, when I noticed that I still had a standard account left over from when I used the computer back home during Highschool. I know I can reset the admin password with the install CD, but that is back home, and I'd rather not have to call my Dad to have him mail it to me, or having to call Apple for a new one. Back int he OS 9 days, I remember there was some sort of executive password that allowed access to the system, (I once got locked out when I was smaller and called up the Apple extended warranty people), and was wondering if there was a similar mechanism in OS 10.4.9, or do I have to get the CD again?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Woomba

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
you will need your install media, to reset the pass word.

OP
W
Reaction score
Is there a place I can download this media and burn onto a disc? Or will I have to call up Apple or my dad to ship it to me?

OP
W
Reaction score
God I wish the good ol' password reset days of OS 9 ... My understanding of the *nix family is slightly shoddy, but I'm pretty sure there is not way to remotely access the root account with it being disabled right?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The only way your are going to reset the pass word or create another admin user is with the install media. You need the admin pass word to create a new admin. You need the install media to rest the pass word. So your only choices here is to buy a full install of 10.4, borrow a copy from a friend or request your father to send the media to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.