Is the Mac Pro future proof?

Reaction score
Hello,

Will I be able to put in the intel 8-core 45 nm processors when they come out into a Mac Pro, thus creating a 16-core computer? Is the Mac Pro's motherboard capable of using these processors?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well, since we already know the C2D MacPros will fit the upgraded 4 core chips, at least based on the design of the chip, it is possible. Intel is not doing anything special with the chips for Macs, but that doesn't mean Apple would not put some funky connector or something in there to stop you from upgrading. Unless their is some motherboard firmware update that Apple doesn't release to the public you may be able to. Then again, who knows?

Reaction score
As far as I have read around many places, any alterations to the core hardware of a Mac usually results in tears.

What do you do that you actually can harness 16 cores?

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, since we already know the C2D MacPros will fit the upgraded 4 core chips, at least based on the design of the chip, it is possible. Intel is not doing anything special with the chips for Macs, but that doesn't mean Apple would not put some funky connector or something in there to stop you from upgrading. Unless their is some motherboard firmware update that Apple doesn't release to the public you may be able to. Then again, who knows?

We'll, Can you put the new quad-core chips in a G5? If you can than when the 8-core processors come out Mac Pro's motherboard will most likely support them.

OP
D
Reaction score
As far as I have read around many places, any alterations to the core hardware of a Mac usually results in tears.

What do you do that you actually can harness 16 cores?

I would like to use a 16-core computer for computer chess. So I will need as much processing power as I can get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We'll, Can you put the new quad-core chips in a G5? If you can than when the 8-core processors come out Mac Pro's motherboard will most likely support them.

Uh, no the G5 is a PPC based architecture, not an Intel based one. The two are completely incompatible. I agree, it is possible that the next gen chips will work in the MacPro's, but again that is an assumption, not an assurance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
16 processors for computer chess? You must be better @ chess than me, it only takes 1 processor to whup my tail...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
I know a site have successfully upgraded a 4 core Mac pro to 8 core with no problems whatsoever.

You should know, however, that 8 core is not due out for 4 or 5 years

OP
D
Reaction score
I know a site have successfully upgraded a 4 core Mac pro to 8 core with no problems whatsoever.

You should know, however, that 8 core is not due out for 4 or 5 years

4 or 5 years? Where have you been? in 3 years Intel will be releasing an 80-core chip for desktops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4 or 5 years? Where have you been? in 3 years Intel will be releasing an 80-core chip for desktops.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that that is not true. The chip you were referring to was a test chip, using technology they hope to impliment in their future chip revisions, but not actually bring out an 80 core chip!. According to industry experts, chip manufacturing will have mostly moved to quad core in 2009, let alone 8 core! I know that other chip manufacturers have released 64 core 1ghz chips for servers, but nothing approaching the 4ghz 80 core intel chip. Intel actually said that core numbers will probably only go up to 16 core, at which point improvements in manufacturing will allow 10s of GHZ, which they hope to increase, rather than cores.

But on the subject of upgrading, 8 core chips will not be compatible. There will certainly be an increase in pins making it physically incompatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think D-block23 was kidding there....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And now i look like a f00l.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.