should I buy a new mac book pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book pro
Here is my dilemma. I do software training for a living, I now have a powerbook g4 ( 3yrs old) and a DEAD 5 year old sony laptop. For obvious reasons I need to have access to both windows and macs to keep up with current software. (Lately I have had MORE mac switcher clients, than PC clients--Love this web site for switcher issues)
I was thinking of getting a cheap PC and continue using my mac for a yr or two (the mac works perfectly fine). After talking to several MAC people, they suggest I get a mac book pro and just use the windows side for my other programs. I don't want to "gunk" up a new mac book with lots of windows programs, but they say I don't have to worry. I have 10 years of quicken for windows that I don't think will transfer to mac very well.
I am thinking of getting a 15 inch mac book pro, with 2 gigs of ram and a 160 HD. I have lots of pictures in iphoto and don't want to worry about HD space. I am not thinking of putting Vista on at this time, but I may have to learn office 07 for windows in the near future.
I'd love to hear some opinions from the switcher's group. thanks in advance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have been writing and rewriting this for an hour now. Tend to get long winded sometimes and tryng to shorten my posts. So,...

Bottom line, I think the MBP is a great machine and almost 4 months into mine now, think I am still, uhm, yeah infatuated is the word, with this computer. Having said that, as one that has done some tech support myself, personally think if you need a windows machine for your work, you should get a windows machine.

Reaction score
That's a good point, but if you find yourself doing more and more Mac-related stuff, the MBP can do a great job for you. You can use any Win programs in XP via Boot Camp and with an external drive handy, you can store pictures off the internal drive and save that space for needed software.

If you get an inexpensive pc, realize that it's going to come with Vista and without upgrading it and making it more expensive, Vista's going to bog it down a bit.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book pro
Thanks for your replies. I did think about buying a cheap PC, but in the end I bought the MBP today. I ordered windows and bought parellels. Transferring stuff from the old mac to the MBP was so easy I couldn't believe it! Quite a different world from the PC.
Now the FUN will begin when I have to get my windows stuff on XP on the mac. It will probably take hours!!
But, it's always a good learning experience.

Reaction score
Bottom line, I think the MBP is a great machine and almost 4 months into mine now, think I am still, uhm, yeah infatuated is the word, with this computer.

Ughhh...I've had my MBP for ~45 days, I was hoping the infatuation would kinda, you know, subside soon; kinda like it does (for me) w/ women I meet!!:bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I'm still infatuated with my MPB after 2 and a half months, and I'm actively spreading the Mac Gospel at work, as my 17" MBP sits atop my desk next to my god-awful slow Dell. Fortunately the Gov't leases the Dell, but unfortunately it's a "new" P4 with Hyperthreading that is slower than the older P4's they replaced - because they downgraded from 1GB to 512MB of RAM, and went from NT4.0 to Win2000 - the biggest RAM hog around (besides Vista). Go Navy. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.