I'm planning on buying an eMac but...

M

Mahler_seele

I wonder if the new eMacs (1.25Ghz, 256RAM, Radeon 9200) will be able to handle stuff like Photoshop CS, Garageband and mostly music making software.

Currently I have a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz and 512RAM. I wonder how the two systems would compare... any hints? I really want to switch but it really depends if I can use the programs stated above quite nicely.... apart from other day to day applications as well (Office, iLife, internet, etc)

Thanks everyone willing to help in advance :D

OP
J

jsgates

I bought one a couple of months ago, and it handles anything I throw at it, including Photoshop CS and Garageband. I'd max out the ram on it, and you'll be good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
My uncle has the model just before that
1 Ghz
512 ram
160 gb hd
Superdrive

he uses it for all of his photo editing and video editing...He is going to upgrade the ram to 1gb soon (well hes paying im doing)

He loved it so much my dad ordered the new emac with 1gb ram for doing his dvd slideshows

OP
T

TylerMoney

you shouldn't have any problem doing photoshop work..I use my 1ghz powerbook, and use photoshop, illustrator, and InDesign all at the same time with no problems..does suck memmory though.

OP
M

Mahler_seele

Perhaps I shouldn't ask this but I currently own a PentiumIV 2.4Ghz machine, how would that compare in performance to the eMac in question (1.25Ghz)? Is there any way to find close equivalences between the Mac Ghz and the Intel Ghz?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There really is no direct conversion between them but when the G4 first came out they showed the 867mhz beating out a 1.7ghz P4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The reason Mac G4/G5 proves to be faster with lower clock speeds is because (for now) they exploit more efficient (wider) data paths, like how broadband works! Sweet :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Mahler_seele said:
I wonder if the new eMacs (1.25Ghz, 256RAM, Radeon 9200) will be able to handle stuff like Photoshop CS, Garageband and mostly music making software.

Currently I have a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz and 512RAM. I wonder how the two systems would compare... any hints? I really want to switch but it really depends if I can use the programs stated above quite nicely.... apart from other day to day applications as well (Office, iLife, internet, etc)

Thanks everyone willing to help in advance :D

I simply love the eMac (again, people may think I'm strange, but for some reason I even prefer it over the iMac), and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go for one, but of course upgrade the RAM as others have said. You'll be extremely pleased with it, I'm sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
To answer your question honestly...your eMac won't be able to keep up to a P4 to save its life. I don't want to upset anybody here, but the "benchmarks" you see online are BS. The G5 dual 2 GHz machine got spanked by a high end P4 in all tests, so a little iBook will certainly not be able to keep up. In every instance I have ever seen, Macs have been significantly slower than PCs.

That said, I absolutely love my Powerbook, and will never trust my data to Windows again. I've got the 1.33 GHz model with 512 MB of RAM and it's plenty fast for basic stuff. I love it.

Chances are, you'll be plenty happy with your new eMac. It can handle Photoshop CS and Garageband just fine. In both instances, you'll want to absolutely max out your eMacs RAM.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I think that you will find the eMac more than adequate for your needs. I absolutely love mine. It runs Photoshop, Garageband and other apps just swimmingly. It may not be the best option for games, but it is acceptable for some games and again I am extremely happy with mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Osiris22x said:
To answer your question honestly...your eMac won't be able to keep up to a P4 to save its life. I don't want to upset anybody here, but the "benchmarks" you see online are BS. The G5 dual 2 GHz machine got spanked by a high end P4 in all tests, so a little iBook will certainly not be able to keep up. In every instance I have ever seen, Macs have been significantly slower than PCs.
Good luck!
That isn't really true because you can always find an app that screams on the Mac and crawls on the pc. Mac has a broader internal data path that is not exploited by some apps rendering many test a waste of time The eMac 1.25 with 512 would prove amazingly capable

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.