First Mac soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
Hi, I am saving, got £500 and around June time I will have enough for a Mac Laptop.

I am stuck between the iBook and the PowerBook with 14/15inch minimum screen size is a must

I thought of getting extra ram seperatly (Could I get 256mb then get a 512mb stick from an online site?) Any ideas? Is it simple to add RAM?

It wont be out of date soon will it? I hope it to last some years at the price.. lol

I live in the UK

Anybody who also owns one of these, are they noisy? Is there stuff I should do every so often (Like maintenance) How long does the battery last?

I have 11Gb of video music (mostly MPG and some AVI files) I like to listen to all the time :D and I also have the 40GB Xclef-HD500 and is supported by OSX and someone on this board has one and from what I read you just plug in and it comes up on the desktop :) handy

Thanks

Edit: The 1.5Ghz PowerBook is what im wanting to get more, and i found http://www.crucial.com/uk/ when looking for cheaper ram.. but the model isnt there

T

TylerMoney

I own a 12" powerbook...not noisy...if the fan comes on, there is some noise..but it goes away soon..and you have to use it for a long period of time for it to come on...great computers....and ****, especially with the annoucements of todays upgraded powerbooks...i'm so upset..it would make my 12" perfect...the new 12 has all I wanted in the 15...but really...I'm still exstatic about mine.

Memmory is extremely easy to put in, and totally worth getting standard memmory from order, and putting an extra stick in afterword...make sure and get good memmory though...some macs have problems with some memmory...crucial is apparently good, and i know Corsair is really good to, and it has a lifetime warantly.

You shouln't be out of date any time soon..any time soon at all....

as for maintanance..when you update software, or install new software, they say it's a good idea to repair permissions...look around the forums..you'll get exact directions on doing so...as well as running other tasks...it has been said a lot by others, so I won't repeat it..

Either way, iBook or PowerBook, you'll be extremely happy, and with all the updates now...even happier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Hey! I live in England but got my 17" Powerbook from a reseller in America. Turned out to be pretty cheap(when compared to apple store UK). You shouldn't worry about anything, just make sure you get a good bag/carry case for ur laptop - I use the brenthaven 17" backpack. Cheers

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can the non superdrive burn normal cd-rs? and can the dvi out make me be able to use a lcd monitor for a 2nd display?

did you get tax on your order and where from? :D

thanks

L

lugee

Graeme43 said:
Can the non superdrive burn normal cd-rs? and can the dvi out make me be able to use a lcd monitor for a 2nd display?

thanks

Non Superdrive is the combo drive which reads DVD-Rom and burns CD-R CD-RW.

You can use 2 monitors with DVI out (ibook/PB screen and external) or use the Laptop as a normal desktop with external monitor.

Your question regarding which to buy, depends on your needs if its normal everyday computing get an ibook (14") but if its more processor hungry get a powerbook 15" as 12" really is too small a screen for my liking.

S

Seeker

Hey Graeme43,

If money is a constraint (as it is for almost all of us =p) don't be afraid to go for an iBook... it's way powerful enough for most purposes. Only drawback is perhaps how you cannot use 2 monitors at the same time.

Definitely add RAM. Mine's maxed out at 640. I think everyone here recommends as much RAM as you can afford. The iBooks on display at the Apple Shop are only running with 256 and are tonnes slower than mine.

I've managed to clock 5 hours of battery life on my Ibook so far. Pretty decent!

Good luck with saving up... It'll be the best buy of your life! I know mine was =)

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to get the 14 inch 1.2ghz ibook or the 1.33ghz 15 inch powerbook

I hope i have enough for the powerbook when the time comes if not i'll have to get the ibook because im not waiting any longer :D

the main reason i want the powerbook is the better graphics and that means that ut2004 might play on it?

J

Joeytpg

Graeme43 said:
I am going to get the 14 inch 1.2ghz ibook or the 1.33ghz 15 inch powerbook

I hope i have enough for the powerbook when the time comes if not i'll have to get the ibook because im not waiting any longer :D

the main reason i want the powerbook is the better graphics and that means that ut2004 might play on it?

Don't get desperate....if there a chance you can save a little bit more in the next few months (like 4 to 5 months) WAIT...and get the PowerBook......better graphics, faster, bigger screen, it's a better notebook overall. So be patient and W A I T. That's what i'm doin' ...saving enough to get a 15" P.B. no one's waiting for me so........***...in the mean time i'll stick to my PC and keep reading www.mac-forums.com and learning more about MAC's and OS-X so that when i get my mac...i won't be THAT confused because it's going to be my first Mac. :D :D

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will have £500 in the coming week (just waiting on cheques cashing and stuff)
in july i get £600 of some insurance money and the rest is put away for proper use (not buying computers)

I still have time to save before july and that what im doing. selling stuff that i never use (good idea, frees space and helps save)

it will be my first laptop and mac :D:D:D:D:D

Yet every day I check my emails I have about 15 viruses, one was sneaky and looked like a link to an email message looked innoercent.. but the filesize was fimiliar and my mouse just happend hover on the link.. guess what, when you click the link it activates the attachment instead using a script

thanks

J

Joeytpg

Yup...dude i'm sick and tired of PC's..honestly....i mean....it's NOT that's a piece of [poopoo].....cuz i've been working on PC's my whole life, and i've done a lot of great things on em.....and you can do pretty much everything that you can do ona mac..on a PC and viceversa. But because of PC's market control almost EVERY virus there is goes into a PC and i'm tired of it......besides MAc's are pretty, friendlyuse....great system..

it'll be my first MAc and first Notebook too......i'll still have my Desktop PC (that's if i don't sell it to buy the Powerbook :p ) but i'll try to always have the two. (having access to both worlds its the better choice ain't it? :D

i'll get my notebook, and i'll buy an external Mouse i saw...GREAT mouse, it was wireless, and sooo tiny! it looked like a toy! :eek: It had the usb wireless system connector (it was like 3 inches long, and you plug it into the usb output on the powerbook) and the wireless mouse! two buttons, and scrolling wheel :D i can't wait!! :D

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its not that PCs are crap, its just windoze... I mean if you installed linux it is a lot faster and you can get WineX3 and play PC games in that or get ports (Like Ut2003 and 2004 come with the linux installer on the CD/DVD)

Linux on my PC, OS X on my soon to come Powerbook :D

I have a 5 button mouse here and it is awesome and its usb so i'll just use it :)

now thats best of both ;) :D

lol i sent you a pm :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Graeme43 said:

thanks

They charged me 48 quid VAT but i think thats not accurate, coz PowerBook here is worth over 2000 quid, and 50 quid on VAT is nothing comparatively. I think the seller shipped with a lower price indicated on the parcel. Buts thats all! Not a lot of hassle, UPS delivers @ home and they collect the charges then and there from you.
cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Welcome to Mac and the forums! I saw repair permissions mentioned, manually it's like this (but Mac Janitor can do it too):
After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, at school, there were 2 firemen that came to do a talk with us

Guess what they brought :D:D:D:D

A laptop :rolleyes: but not just any

It was a Mac :D White, i think it was an iBook? it was pretty cool anyhow

everyone i told that im getting a mac these are replies

hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, cough coughcough

are you not just better getting a new computer

theres a lack of software for macs

whats the difference

and that i am insane

i can 100% say the people who have said them dont even know what a mac looks like :(

once i get it im sure to show them it anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Graeme43 said:
everyone i told that im getting a mac these are replies

hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, cough coughcough

are you not just better getting a new computer

theres a lack of software for macs

whats the difference

and that i am insane

i can 100% say the people who have said them dont even know what a mac looks like :(

And people wonder why the Mac community feels exceedingly compelled to explain (and often defend) our choice of computers to the M$ world. :(

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All i need now is some mac people to chat with on an instant messenger :D (got my stuff in my profile)

i REALLY want away from the m$ world as when i mention Mac everyone (even people who say they want a mac in a private convo) but when join a public irc channel with them in it, they defend windows and insult macs like they are inferior

that alone makes me want one :(

I CANT WAIT :D My dad is a pc junkie and he is trying to make everyone change my mind about getting one (Like my mum and her dad say I can get one and are quite intresting in it as if they want it :p lol)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well if security and spyware are no issue M$ on happily! And if there's no software is still an issue, firstly it's not and secondly -for those few apps that are doz - only, not for long! People seem to have a tendency to think that what is now is all! Think future!

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have decided that if i dont have enough for the Powerbook & 80Gb 5200rpm HD. I'll borrow some then pay it back and that way I get the better one:D

I'll get my ram from crucial.com/uk as its half the price as Apple stuff :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.