make mp3s "louder" (for cell phones)

Reaction score
i make mp3 ringtones for my motorola phone using audacity. some of the files i use are just plain NOT LOUD ENOUGH!! i was wondering what programs out there would change the "loudness" of my mp3s. any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
You can use Audacity (audacity.sourceforge.net) to amplify .mp3 files. You have to also download this thing called LAME for it to work with mp3s, but their site should tell you where to get that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
i use garageband and itunes to cut and bluetooth mp3's to my cell. works as long as you dont have verizon. makes them quite loud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Telephone's tend to have a usable frequency range of 300 Hz to 3400 Hz. Therefore much of the phones will be designed around that.

EQ your music files with some boost around that range and cut everything else and it will be very loud. Experiment a bit though to get the best quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i make mp3 ringtones for my motorola phone using audacity. some of the files i use are just plain NOT LOUD ENOUGH!! i was wondering what programs out there would change the "loudness" of my mp3s. any ideas?

in audacity cant u put the volume up on each track like garage band ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
In Audacity, go to Effects -> Amplify. That's all you need to do. Just be wary of flattening the waveform by pushing it too high, although if you're playing it on a phone speaker you probably won't notice too much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.