• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

PowerMacs

S

Switcher_92

So where are they?? I was confident they would at least be hinted at on the 18th...but nothing!!! Where are they? Have cooling issues sent the G5 down the wrong path? Will it be here before summer is out? Will it even be here before the year is out?!

I suppose only time will tell...that is unless someone has some valuable insight to share?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
This Sucks! :rant begin: I WANT MY G5 NOW:rant over:

Still, they updated everything but the iMacs, and G5's what the ****s the holdup!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
they updated iMacs and G5's in November and Apple is usually every 6-7 months updating so it doesn't surprise me....May or June is most likely when they will be updated again......Although I still put my money on July after the WWDC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The updates will come, but honestly, I really think the 1 ghz G4 I have been enjoying is quite a blast, but then, hardware wise I was on a P3 700 (don't worry, no doz! it runs Red Hat Linux now) :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
they updated iMacs and G5's in November and Apple is usually every 6-7 months updating so it doesn't surprise me....May or June is most likely when they will be updated again......Although I still put my money on July after the WWDC

Yes, but the G5's update although important, was not an update to the whole line, they simply made the middel model(originally 1.8, to dual 1.8) and I can hardly see that as an update, rather a revision to a single product.

Also the iMac's update, 20" monitor, although important, didnt even change processor speeds!, Just the monitor, and for these reasons I hardly believe that the iMacs or G5's were "updated" in november, they were" "generally revised"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ApplejustWorks said:
Yes, but the G5's update although important, was not an update to the whole line, they simply made the middel model(originally 1.8, to dual 1.8) and I can hardly see that as an update, rather a revision to a single product.

Also the iMac's update, 20" monitor, although important, didnt even change processor speeds!, Just the monitor, and for these reasons I hardly believe that the iMacs or G5's were "updated" in november, they were" "generally revised"
doesnt matter whether you see them as minor or major....an update is an update and apple has historically gone 6-7 between any of their updates

OP
V

Violence

I'll be getting a G5 early next year hopefully. They better be updated by then.. and I hope the lowered end one has a dual cpu. =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If updates follow logical thinking and planning, our Next upcoming update should have an all dual cpu lineup. There must be one way to differenciate the PowerMac G5s from the other G5s coming out.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
they will most likely always keep a single processor since that keeps the price on the low end down the whole way

the thing that separates the G5's from a possible G5 iMac is the high end level of the rest of the parts and more flexability of upgrades

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I would agree with that and add that at some point we may well have already reached a ceiling of performance needs for most personal use and then there is that wait for all apps to catch up and be able to exploit the 64 bit architecture ;)

OP
W

Wapa18

trpnmonkey41 said:
they will most likely always keep a single processor since that keeps the price on the low end down the whole way

well i know for a fact that with the G4 towers, there was a time when even the lowest-end model had dual processors. i dunno if there's really any pattern to how apple does that, but it's happened before.

OP
N

nicholas

Could somebody tell me how I can make an avatar show up, like TylerMoney, Witeshark, or Wapa18?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Found in user CP -profile>control panel, choose the avatar option :)

OP
N

nicholas

thanks for that quick response! wow, no wonder you're one of the most respected peeps on this forum. cause you're knowledgable but ultra fast on the response time too! guess you skim the threads alot huh? i've scouted the threads on this forum for quite some time now but i never was bothered to sign up, till now.

ANYWAYS - i did what you said...but for some reason after uploading a pic (the same one i use for my AIM) and hitting "submit," i get an error message. and since this ultra cool pic isn't on any website, i can't exactly link no darn URL to it.

Help? Please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Are you able to save it on your (right click/control click) and save as to a directory on your drive and then reference it in the choose file option in the avatar options?

OP
N

nicholas

Well it's under Users>Nicholas>Pictures>AIM Buddy Icons>Name of the Icon. I then double click on the name of my icon, and it appears beside the "submit" button. But then once I hit submit, that stupid error message comes up. And I know the size of the file isn't above the 64Kb cap. What gives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That directory path may be too long, try moving it to something nice and safe like documents

OP
N

nicholas

Yes!!! It worked! "Your fame is well deserved, Spaniard." (Not sure if you're a spaniard tho haha)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.