iSight (or other) camera with EvoCam for "Video Surveillence"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2.3MHz Dual-core - OS X Tiger 10.4.6
I need to setup a security system in my house PRONTO! I think my neighbors little punk teenage son is breaking into our house! I have a dual G5....and I've read great things about EvoCam and how versitile and reliable it is. We are going away for the weekend and need to be able to have the Camera setup on a motion sensor using the software. I hope it works like I need it to by emailing me if there is anything going on. (I will also end up using it to watch the house (our pets too, lol) in general, as well as for video conferencing and chat with clients and friends. So I also need it for multiple uses.

Has anyone ever setup a "security" system on your mac using EvoCam? I am having trouble finding a camera that will be of high-quality enough to setup across the room and be able to record motion when someone walks into our front door - or garage door entrance...both of which can be in the same view. I've been doing a ton of research and haven't had much luck. I was almost sold on this Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 till i read a review that said unless the subject is 1-4 ft away, it'll be blurry and out of focus....and that just won't work for me. Will the iSight camera give me a clear picture from across the room? Is there an alternative that will work? Its a bit more than I really want to spend, but if its my best option, I'm all for it and supporting apple products. Also seems like I could probably pick it up at the apple store today, instead of waiting for it to arrive by mail. Suggestions or advice on this would be GREATLY HELPFUL! THanks in advance!
Valerie

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2.3MHz Dual-core - OS X Tiger 10.4.6
Still looking for mac compatible video cameras (we have a Canon Mini DV cam however we want to take it with us!) And I am having a hard time finding the iSight for under $200...which is way more than I can spend on this! So any suggestions on a good camera that will pickup someone entering my house from across the room (10-15 ft) that would be greatly appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.