Ram optimization

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
Hello, pardon my askining of these questions, but I concluded it would be much move convinient if I got the answers directly instead of searching for them.

Ok first of all, let me introduce myself. I'm new to the forum but have been a strong advocate of Apple computers.
I have the original iMac G5 gz with a 20" screen. No built in iSight or anything.

It tends to lag when I indulge in the multi-tasking I do every night. I know the page outs increase in number sometime on the Activity Monitor, so no question I might need more Ram for my computer.

I have a series of questions as to how Ram works and what optimizes the Ram for a specific computer

I run 1GB of DDR Ram in the form of two parallel 512mb DDR SDRAMs with speeds of PC3200U-30330. I will hopefully upgrade this to two parallel 1BG chips.

Somewhere I heard that two parallel rams of the same speed and name somehow optimize performance. I also heard that it can enable 128 bit memory. I have no knowledge about bit memory.

I would also want to know if my specific computer can handle any other type of Ram besides the ones that the Apple store provided, such as DDR2 or any type of higher speed.

I would appreciate any answers.

OP
trademark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why bother answering when you have nothing beneficial to add.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/

That's the homepafe for the app called Mactracker. It will tell you the specs of almost every mac. And I suggest to use the same type of ram that it says is for your machine. But you don't have to buy it from apple. Anyone you trust is ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
you seem to have answered most of your questions !

OP
trademark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link!

Well ok the Ram slots only support that Ram type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Having matched pair RAM gives you 128-bit data path instead of 64 which basically is more lanes on the highway, thus creating better performance. I'd keep it in matched pairs if I were you, g/l!

OP
trademark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I noticed the PCI slots on my Mac are empty, do those have any effect on performance?
Or is there any other possible way I can optimize the other memory, such as the cache (which is currently 512kb) or bus speed (which is currently 667mHz)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.