the story so far, an annoying issue

Reaction score
ok, the story so far.

I have a macbook and connect wirelessly to the internet thru the BT homehub wireless base station. and to be fair it has worked well, up until 6 wks ago that is.

the issue i have now is that the signal shall drop whenever it so feels like it, it could be after 10mins use, or 2days use, but requires a reboot of the macbook, and the hub.

now at first i laid the blame firmly at the doorstep of BT - how could it possibly be my beloved mac?, but i am afraid that after a bt engineer visit, countless line tests and 4 yes 4 new hubs, i now accept that it aint them it therefore has be a mac problem, or a user issue.

i have not done anything to alter my connection settings but there must be something wrong somewhere. anyone got any ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
Sorry, bud - I really don't know. :( I'd call apple and see if they have any ideas.

OP
V
Reaction score
hi,

i had thought of that, but wanna try and fix it myself first, but i am running out of patience so it might not be long before i call them.

cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Check your wireless router's configuration. Make sure the firmware is up to date and that you are not conflicting with other neighbor's wireless signals. You can do this by downloading a utility like AirPort Radar to determine what channels your neighbors are using. If you're using the same channel, try switching it. If that doesn't work, switch your security settings to WPA2, make sure SSID is broadcast too.

Also, as always, make sure your Mac up to date on Software Updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Change the channel setting. No one bothers so you end up with 10 wireless routers in your neighourhood all using channel 6 and they interfere with each other. I changed mine to channel 3 after my internet connection slowed down to dial-up speed and it made a huge difference.

OP
V
Reaction score
cheers guys,

i never even thought of changing channels. i will try that first, though i shall to figure out how first!

my mac is up to date on all its software - but i suppose there is now harm in checking

thank again, all good suggestions, and if nothing else i am finding out about the workings of macs!

OP
V
Reaction score
ok so i have changed the channel, i have removed the last airport update and reset everything else, so fingers crossed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.