• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does Anyone have a Consumer Reports Subscription?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
If anyone has a consumer reports subscription and would like to be a big help, I am looking to buy a new digital camera and would like to know the repair rate and history of canon cameras, more specifically the canon SD1000.

Any help, personal experience with canons or experiences, would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I don't need a consumer report to tell you that Canon makes some solid cameras. I've bought 3 for personal use and have either bought or recommended several for friends and family.

My first Canon was the Powershot S100, the first of the point-and-shoot Digital ELPHs. I bought it for my 16th birthday, which was over 6 years ago, and is still going strong to this day. Ait needed was a battery swap around 3-4 years in (which is around the industry average).

My second Canon was a SD400 which lasted me a couple of months before I lost it. I loved it so much that I went to buy the same one, but since it was discontinued, I bought the upgraded SD450 model and have been happy ever since. The SD400 was bought 2 years ago, and the SD450 a couple months after that. The thing is absolutely solid.

I have recommended Canon cameras to all of my friends and family and they are all happy with their purchases. Many were disappointed in models from other manufacturers, but have been happy ever since switching to Canon.

I know for a fact my next camera is going to be a Canon model. When I finally scrape together enough cash for a DSLR, it will DEFINITELY be a Canon :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
who needs a consumer reports subscription when you have cnet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
I agree with Kash - Canon makes great cameras. The SD1000 is the newest in the line, and doesn't have IS like the 700 and 800 do. I have the 700 and it is a really awesome little camera - takes sharp pics and has IS (image stabilizer). My son even lost it snowboarding and it turned up two days later in perfect condition. I was shocked but pleasantly surprised, and very grateful.

I also have a Rebel XTi, which is another great camera for when you don't mind toting around something bigger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The latest issue (May 2007) of Consumer Reports containing their "Most and Least Reliable Brands" article is on the newsstands right now.

Their data was drawn from their annual Product Reliability Survey (sent to subscribers every year-- I always dutifully fill out mine). Quoting the article:
In 2006 alone more than 950,000 readers told us about their experiences with 30 kinds of products. Because many readers own more than one item in a category, that translates to more than 1.3 million vehicles, 1.2 million electronic gadgets, and 2.5 million appliances and lawn machines. That's about 5.1 million products in all.

That said, here's some interesting tidbits from their research:

- "Laptops have the highest repair rates over time of the products we track. No brand in our surveys, covering 2002 through mid-2006, stood out as especially reliable or especially repair-prone."

- "Desktops are less likely to require repairs and are easier and less costly to repair when they do. During the 2002 to mid-2006 time frame, only Apple desktops stood out as notably reliable, and no brand we evaluated was especially repair-prone."

...and to answer Carl's question about camcorders:

- Reliable: Panasonic (Mini DV) and Sony (DVD-RW/-R) (4% and 3% of respondents have had their units repaired, respectively)

- Most Repair-Prone: Canon, JVC, and Samsung MiniDV models (10%, 9%, and 10% repaired, respectively)

This is a fascinating issue and I suggest anyone who's looking for more info should check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and to answer Carl's question about camcorders:

- Reliable: Panasonic (Mini DV) and Sony (DVD-RW/-R) (4% and 3% of respondents have had their units repaired, respectively)

- Most Repair-Prone: Canon, JVC, and Samsung MiniDV models (10%, 9%, and 10% repaired, respectively)

That's for camcorders, what does it say about digital still cameras?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Whoops. While I was typing that someone was talking in my office about a camcorder. Thanks for the catch, Kash.

Here's what it says:

Reliable: None stood out. (In general, digital cameras have been among the most reliable products in our surveys, regardless of brand.)

Among the more repair-prone: Vivitar for point-and-shoots.

Most repair-prone: Olympus for SLRs.

For what it's worth, I have both a Canon digicam and Canon camcorder, and I've been perfectly happy with both-- never had a day's trouble.

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the great information. One question I'd like to pose: what is the difference between the SD750 and SD1000? This has been irking me because the two have all the same specs as far as I can see but the SD750 is $50 more. The only difference is it has a .5" larger LCD and no viewfinder. How is that worth $50.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found a product comparison chart

Looks like the only real difference is the size of the screen, the viewfinder (SD750 doesn't have one), and a slight aesthetic difference. Neither have Image Stabilization (the SD700 and SD800 did).

From what I've been reading, the SD1000 is essentially the replacement for the SD750. So think of the $50 difference as a price drop.

Reaction score
My Mistake, these cameras are so new that DPreview hasn't done any test on them yet. However there are several personal reviews on these cameras.

That said, I've always thought Canon and Casio point and click cameras were top notch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DPreview is a great site, totally forgot to check that site earlier. Though I managed to find this little gem from DPreview: Canon SD750 and SD1000 Review

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, the SD1000 isn't replacing the SD750. The two are the newest additions to the digital elph line. Both premiered at that recent photography show. So its no price drop, its just a waste of $50, IMO.

Anyway, thanks for the continued help. Anything anyone else has to contribute would still be appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.