There always comes this time...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Alright, there always comes a time in a mans life when he needs more... hdd space that is! Well anyway, I need some advice here on what you all think I should do. I am about OUT of room on my external 160gb drive that holds my music. Here is the situation, with so much music and now movies (i have been ripping my collection and am about up to 60 now) the windows PC that i currently use for all of this is starting to slow up, SOO, do you all think I should purchase a 500gb external and 2 x 512mb of RAM for the PC listed in my sig, or do you think I should purchase JUST the 500g external and save up more money and sometime purchase a mac mini to replace the PC? As with everything there are advantages and disadvantages to both as follows:

HDD and memory:
A: will have room for media and an alright computer that is already hooked up to my TV via S-video.
A: will only spend around 250
D: Have to use ugly windows XP

HDD and mini (later):
A: Will be able to use OS X constantly, instead of just most of the time!
D: Will spend over 500 (if not over 600)
D: Will have to buy an LCD TV with DVI connector to watch movies on TV instead of screen, more $$

~ I know this is VERY long winded, but what would you all do in this situation? Take in account that currently I have about 400 dollars to just "throw away"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
If you really can't stand XP, get the mini.(and keep the windows PC) If you can bear it for a little while longer, get the memory and HD

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you really can't stand XP, get the mini.(and keep the windows PC) If you can bear it for a little while longer, get the memory and HD

No, no... i guess that came off a little wrong. its not that i cant stand XP, I just REALLY like OS X ALOT more, and besides, all i use the XP computer for is storing and hosting music (which i stream to my powerbook over the network...) and movies, which i dont watch all that often, but at any rate, it is getting a little slow...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
Your 1.5 GHz PB with 2 GB of RAM is slow?! That's blazing compared to my 1.83 GHz Mini with 512 MB RAM.(...actually, it about evens out)

Sell both the PB and the PC, get yourself a mid-end MacBook and an External HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Doesn't belong in "Anyting Goes". Moved to more appropriate forum

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your 1.5 GHz PB with 2 GB of RAM is slow?! That's blazing compared to my 1.83 GHz Mini with 512 MB RAM.(...actually, it about evens out)

Sell both the PB and the PC, get yourself a mid-end MacBook and an External HDD.

nope, the PB is awesome, i love it alot... its the PC that is getting a little slow for simple things like just browsing music and movies...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nope, the PB is awesome, i love it alot... its the PC that is getting a little slow for simple things like just browsing music and movies...

Yep, sell both your PC and your PB and get a midrange or top of the line MacBook and an external HDD. It will fill your needs perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.