OnyX updated today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Good to know MHC - thanks for letting us know.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uh oh, I ran the "Verify Boot Volume" thing that comes up now when you start it. It says the volume needs repairing, and yet my Mac seems to be working well. Should I trust it?

Brings back memories of a McAfee utility I ran years ago on a Windows system. It claimed my registry was corrupted and offered to fix it. I stupidly let it do so. It completely trashed my machine. I think I had to reload the OS to get it back.

Now, whenever a utility tells me that something about the system itself is wrong, I don't trust it.

...just because I am paranoid doesn't mean that the utilities AREN'T out to get me!! :dive: :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Check with Disk Utility. If that comes up with it too, I'd repair it.

Reaction score
I got the same warning and ignored it for the time being. Will be interested to hear what others see & discover ...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ran it and it was fine. My guess is that there is a legitimate problem of some sort, although I would definitely check with Disk Utility first.

Reaction score
Doesn't Onyx, like MainMenu, Applejack and all the others simply plug into the file-repair program that Disk Utility uses?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
Reaction score
OnyX gave me an error that it couldn't repair a few weeks ago. I ran Disk Utility and it fixed it. I've had no problems since then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can Disk Utility repair the same volume that it is running from, or do I have to boot from my install DVD to do this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can Disk Utility repair the same volume that it is running from, or do I have to boot from my install DVD to do this?

No, it should be able to repair the same disk while running.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

According to MacInTouch (where I got the news), these are the fixes/new features/improvements:

...This release adds more explicit error messages, improvements to Internet cache deletion, rebuilding of Mail's envelope index, support for Mac OS X Server, improvements to the uninstaller, and other changes. Onyx is free (donations welcome) for Mac OS X 10.4 (Universal Binary).

Why not email the developer to tell him of this bug? He's easy to reach via email on the OnyX website and he absolutely and totally appreciates feedback so he can improve on his apps.

I don't want him to drown in spam so I won't post his email addie here but just click on Contact on the OnyX webpage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What bug are you referring to MHC? I haven't suggested that OnyX is wrong, just inquired about what to do about it. For all I know, there may be some minor corruption on my boot volume. However, per my above post, I am VERY reluctant to disturb a smoothly running machine just because a utility says something not obvious is wrong...

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Well from what I understand, some members here seemed to be saying that OnyX reported problems with the hard drive that Disk Utility doesn't see. I would think that Disk Utility should know what it is reporting so why would OnyX see a problem that isn't really there?

UNless OnyX is right and Disk Utility needs a serious revamping? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now you're scaring me - the battle of the utilities - which is right? Acckkkk.... :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I did a full backup of my home folder and started Disk Utility, asking it to verify my Mac HD. Sure enough, it finds an error. Anyone have any ideas on what to do about this one? Rather an odd message! See the attached thumbnail.

diskutil.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I did a full backup of my home folder and started Disk Utility, asking it to verify my Mac HD. Sure enough, it finds an error. Anyone have any ideas on what to do about this one? Rather an odd message! See the attached thumbnail.

My guess is a corrupted directory structure or file name. Do you run Parallels? Just a guess (shot in the dark really), but it might be that you transfered a Windows directory structure or name that doesn't meet the HFS standards (although why it wouldn't fail upon transfer is beyond me). I often have the opposite problem transferring files from the Mac side over to Windows, but it fails to transfer them.

Either way, doesn't sound like a physical drive failure and as such, I'd just go ahead and click that repair button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.