Trashed my mail.

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an Imac newbie and managed to put my mail application in the trash and then empty the trash. I was trying to add it to my dock. There is the mail icon in my dock but there is a big question mark on it. Have I completely deleted this? If so how do I get it back, if possible. Thanks

Not a good start to my mac experience.

donger

Reaction score
You should be able to get it back using the discs that came with your Mac.

Reaction score
You will be able to retrieve the Mail application from the install DVD if you download Pacifist from versiontracker.com or macupdate.com.

Pacifist can open the packages of programs on the install DVD. Once you find the app you want, Pacifist will install the app in all the proper locations. There is no problem installing over parts of a program that remain in your system.

This post from March explains how to use it to retrieve Safari. But it would be the same for Mail.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Martin.

I read the install notes on the OS X disc1 and it says to back up important files first. I can do this ok, but is there any chance I'll loose any software or any other stuff I've put on my mac.

Probably a dumb question....

donger

Reaction score
No dumb questions. The install disk says that because it assumes you are going to reinstall the entire system. Pacifist would only install Mail, and it's gone, anyway — no backup.

But are there any emails you want to save? They would still be in your system.

OP
D
Reaction score
I now know why I bought a mac. Everything sorted.

Thanks guys.

donger

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.