MacBook doesn't shut off but goes to sleep

Reaction score
Once in awhile i'll try to shut off my MacBook, when i do, it seems like it just goes to sleep. the white light at the front of the computer stays on for some reason. not only that but i can't bring the computer back up. i have to wait a few hours before restarting.

the computer won't stay asleep either, it will wake up after a little while. has anyone encountered some of theses problems? i just got the computer a month ago and am wondering if i should take it in or if there is a solution for these issues.

thanks for any info,
r

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
interested to know as well, the MBP I just returned had this problem as well.

OP
P
Reaction score
how long will you be without your computer, i'm hesitant to bring it for fear of losing it for weeks on end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
how long will you be without your computer, i'm hesitant to bring it for fear of losing it for weeks on end.

I returned it. Sent it back for a refund. I had it for a day.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Keep in mind that when you choose "Shut Down", you must wait for the screen to go black and the light in the front to turn off, then close the lid. If you don't wait for a full shut down, your MacBook will sleep before the shutdown process completes. If this isn't the case, try resetting the PRAM. Starting with the machine turned off (pull the battery out to make sure), press and hold Command-Option-P-R and turn the machine on. Wait to hear the system chime three times and then release.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks for the info. cwa107 i will see what happens the next time i shut down. i've reset the pram on my other macs, what does it actually do and should i really be doing it on a month old mac book pro?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
thanks for the info. cwa107 i will see what happens the next time i shut down. i've reset the pram on my other macs, what does it actually do and should i really be doing it on a month old mac book pro?

The PRAM is part of the power management system. A more detailed explanation is available here. It should not be reset as a matter of routine, but can be helpful if you're experiencing a problem with power management.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.