Question about Airport Extreme

S

SteveF

Hey,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for a little help.

What's the word on Airport Extreme? I want to run an HP printer and scanner, and ADSL internet off a soon-to-be-mine G5. Is Airport good or what? Is it slower than running cables instead? What is the difference between Airport Extreme and Bluetooth? Oh and this will be with the dual 1.8, I don't know if that makes a difference. I also have a powerbook 3400 that I use as well, would I be able to link up the computers to share data using Airport Extreme, or is that what Bluetooth is for?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Airport isn't good for printing, it prints really slow... I've noticed small speed increase with my Internet without Airport as well. Airport is obsolete if your using it on a tower. Unless you have a Powerbook/iBook that is compatible with Airport (which your 3400 is not) or you are going to network Airport enabled computers, don't get Airport. Plus, it harms your body, which isn't cool.

OP
T

TylerMoney

airport and airport extreme are different. Airport extreme is faster. I have no problems with internet use; however, the one time I tried to print over my network t the printer hooked up to my pc...the printer went haywire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Yes, they are, I have Extreme.

OP
W

WilliS

harms my body!?

mine is under my bed in my dorm room...lol should i be worried about growing an extra arm? or becomeing impotent? rofl

i use airport for internet in my dorm.. on my g5.. i dont notice any speed problems... but then again, my internet is blazing fast... i get upwards of 1mb/s download speeds and stuff...

i dunno about printing though, sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!! You just made my not so good day DualG5Lova :)

No, it just fries your brains... like a cell phone.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

well i dont think im too worried with the signals my airport are giving off....i kill enough brain cells on the weekend doing normal things who cares about a couple extra from an airport....plus not like anyone has dropped dead yet to wifi signals. i have the airport b version "cleared out" and dont have any issues with it other than the odd unexpected drops of service for momentary seconds, but that happens to most wifi connections but have the airport beside the fridge doesnt help out much either.
plus if you wanna run a mac the aiport has more features and i find has easier options than other wifi routers out on the market

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Absolute Zero said:
I've noticed small speed increase with my Internet without Airport as well.

I don't understand how that's possible. Even the standard Airport's transfer rate is much faster than almost any readily-available internet connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.