Your favorite tips and hints

K

Kathie

I'm relatively new to Macs and there are very few Mac users in my area. I am interested in your favorite tips or hints, such as keyboard shortcuts, Safari hints, etc. I've learned several by reading but am sure there are more out there I'm not aware of. My favorite e-mail shortcut is Shift-Command-D to send mail.

OP
D

dtx3000

apple+tab to switch programs, by far! and f9 f10 f11 for expose with lots of windows open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If you haven't yet, in Safari open the Safari menu and click block pop up wonderful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
My personal favourite shortcuts are
Command+Shift+A to open applications folder
Command+Shift+U to open utilities folder

note that these will work when u have finder active in the toolbar(on top). So just click on the desktop and use these commands. Really useful.

OP
S

Seeker

I like Command+Q to quit programs quickly, and Command+W to close a window.
I tried creating my own custom apple script tt run by voice activation too so they open up Safari, Mail, Sherlock, ICQ, iTunes with one word 'Connect' hehz.. pretty cool so have fun!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
My favorite command is Command+S, which saves things. It's very useful when you're writing a ten gazillion page paper. :)

OP
M

Mac Apple

you gotta love the screen shot short cuts :)

shift + apple + 3 = whole screen shot
shift + apple + 4 = allows you to select an area

and the best 1

shift + apple + 4 + space = this turns the cursor into a little camera and lets you highlight individal windows

laters. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Command + Option + "Close button" will close all open windows for the active application. (The Finder is an application, too.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Correction to my last post!!!!
No "Command" key.
Option + "Close button" will close all open windows for the active application. (The Finder is an application, too.)

OP
T

TylerMoney

cmd w, close window....cmd option w, close all windows of a program

cmd h, hide all window of a program....

cmd shift n, new folder....

cmd delet...... send selected obj. to trash
cmd shift delete....empty trash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Here's a good one...

Hold down Command+click on a dock item. The finder will open to the location of the item you clicked on.

Another is to Command+Click the title of a window for a program and a drop down menu will display the path to the item. Clicking it will open the finder to it.

Jerry

OP
B

Bluewolf

This thread is just what all switchers need. All the useful information is then centred in one thread and thus should be the first port of call for any switcher.

Problems with Quicktime and playing other file types
Quicktime unfortunately cannot play .wmv and some .avi files. Download and install another media player, for example MPlayer.

There are lots of alternatives out there on the Internet but for sake of ease I am only listing one.

Once installed find the .wmv or .avi file you wish to play. When the file is highlighted press Command + I.

In Open with: change the defualt Quicktime to MPlayer. Then press Change All.

Your .wmv and .avi files should now open with MPlayer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah great thread and more commands here And if anyone wants me to I'll post the manual cron task here :)

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

Command + T in Safari opens a new tab. That's always nice. Also, Command + +/- keys change font size in Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Also in Safari, hold down the APPLE (Command) key while clicking a web link and it will open in a new tab or window, depending on if you have tabs enabled.

Jerry

OP
T

TylerMoney

A nice one for safari. command control click highlighted text, and you can do a google search without having to type it. YAY!...oh yeah..and it automatically opens it in a new tab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
hmmm not sure many people know about this one

command + .

option + command + esc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Don't buy a PC

great tip or what?

OP
A

adam taylor

been looking at the list on macinsteins - great link. one question, how do i do:

Command + Option + Power key + Shift = Force Shutdown

?

what's the power key? do they mean the actual power button?using an ibook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My favorite "stupid Mac trick" is Option + Shift + K.
Just use it in something like TextEdit or Word and you will see what I mean:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.