• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

PC to Mac switching confusion?

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I'm confused! :confused:

I made the decision to switch to a Mac sometime after I had my first brush with Windows Vista! (badddd experience)
So anyway I have decided on an Imac in June after the WWDC-07? (Did my home work a little?)
Here’s my confusion.

1. I'm ok with upgrading to Leopard when it comes out in October even though I will have to pay an extra $129.00?
But I am a little concerned with all the rumors of an impending Imac update?
We have an Apple store where I live and I have tried out and liked the current Imac configuration so I would be ok with the current Imac but I would hate to get it and then 2 months down the road a newer, faster, cheaper Imac come out!

2. I was originally going to get the 20in Imac with the faster processor, 2gb ram, 256 video card, 500gb HD and the Apple care BUT since I home school and attend a local University I Qualify for the School discount so I was also looking at the 24in Imac with the standard processor, 2gb ram, 500gb HD and the Apple care, but I am a little reluctant to go with the 24in because of the reported problems with win xp on the 24in display?
I will be running xp for at least awhile for a couple programs that only have windows versions and for the occasional game (not real important) so I would like as little hassle as possible!
After all that’s why I’m switching to a MAC!
Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I'm new to this forum and I'm confused! :confused:

I made the decision to switch to a Mac sometime after I had my first brush with Windows Vista! (badddd experience)
So anyway I have decided on an Imac in June after the WWDC-07? (Did my home work a little?)
Here’s my confusion.

1. I'm ok with upgrading to Leopard when it comes out in October even though I will have to pay an extra $129.00?
We have an Apple store where I live and I have tried out and liked the current Imac configuration so I would be ok with the current Imac but I would hate to get it and then 2 months down the road a newer, faster, cheaper Imac come out!

2. I was originally going to get the 20in Imac with the faster processor, 2gb ram, 256 video card, 500gb HD and the Apple care BUT since I home school and attend a local University I Qualify for the School discount so I was also looking at the 24in Imac with the standard processor, 2gb ram, 500gb HD and the Apple care, but I am a little reluctant to go with the 24in because of the reported problems with win xp on the 24in display?
I will be running xp for at least awhile for a couple programs that only have windows versions and for the occasional game (not real important) so I would like as little hassle as possible!
After all that’s why I’m switching to a MAC!
Thanks for any advice.

1) When you're dealing with high end technology, there is always something faster, cheaper and more desireable just around the corner, it's inevitable. Sometimes it's worse than others - I got my Core Duo 8 weeks before the Core2Duo came out... but I am happy with my machine, so that's the point. In the Apple world, new specs and configurations come out more or less every 6 - 9 months, so it's fairly stable. In the wider Windows world, this is far mre frequent. I'd say buy the machine when you need it and if that is now, go for it, if not then wait until you do.

2) I have read about this issue on anoter forum, but it seems to be down to a specific driver issue under Bootcamp version 1.1, although information about this is hard to come by. The issue may be fixed and I don't think the issue is there under Parallels, so you could check that out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
As Zoolook mentioned, one can always wait for the next big thing. Bottom line is when your ready get what you want when you want it. As we have all ready experienced, Leopard was suppose to be release, now we are on a delay until October. Until Apple announces the new iMac, it is just speculation. Even if a new iMac is released shortly after your purchase it does not diminish your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

The lifespan of a Mac from the perspective of the owner is generally much higher than a PC. Therefore you will likely keep one for 2 years or so. In that time a lot of new models will appear. At least the model you buy now will be Intel and will run all available software. PowerPC users will hit a brick wall at some point and they wont be able to run certain apps.

If you upgrade every time a new model comes out you will be losing a lot of cash for minor improvements.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks to all! Especially Zoolook!
So what does everybody think the 20" or the 24"???
I have a budget of $3000.00 with tax and I have read in some of the forums that every one considers the 24" Video card better?
Am I going to have problems with the 24” and win xp??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.