What is the best way to format a Airport Disk?

Reaction score
I purchased a Airport Extreme Base Station recently and as well have a Western Digital 500MB My Book drive. I will be using it with the base station but it's not formatted and I wondered which way I should format it. Not knowing better since I have a Windows XP machine I formatted it in NTFS and realized later it won't work with this. It seems I need either Fat32 or HFS+.
Which format is best for me to go with? I know if I use Fat32 unlike HFS+ I can use it directly on a WinXP machine but most of the time if not all I will use it through the Airport Base Station and those few times I won't will hook it up directly to my MBP. When I format what is the best way to go about formatting the drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Most likely FAT32, but your airport manual probably has a recommendation for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
I purchased a Airport Extreme Base Station recently and as well have a Western Digital 500MB My Book drive. I will be using it with the base station but it's not formatted and I wondered which way I should format it. Not knowing better since I have a Windows XP machine I formatted it in NTFS and realized later it won't work with this. It seems I need either Fat32 or HFS+.
Which format is best for me to go with? I know if I use Fat32 unlike HFS+ I can use it directly on a WinXP machine but most of the time if not all I will use it through the Airport Base Station and those few times I won't will hook it up directly to my MBP. When I format what is the best way to go about formatting the drive?

I have my formatted as DOS from the Apple disk utility. Works fine for Mac and PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
You answered your own question...Fat32

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.