mac networking with pc

M

mtsurf

I need to know what I need to do to network a mac with a pc. I use Photoshop on my powerbook g4 but I edit in Vegas on a pc. Is it possible to have them interface?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah it sure is, I believe you wanna try SAMBA share - have no pc, so I have not used it

OP
C

Chamorro

mtsurf said:
I need to know what I need to do to network a mac with a pc. I use Photoshop on my powerbook g4 but I edit in Vegas on a pc. Is it possible to have them interface?

Do you mean simply reading/writing files from one machine to another?

Turn on Windows File Sharing on the Mac, and enable file sharing on the Windows machine.

To access the Windows machine from the Mac, (OS X) choose Finder>Go>Connect to Server and browse/type the address or name of the Windows machine if you know it; (OS 9) I think you need to use the Network Browser or Network in the Control Panels.

To access the Mac from the Windows machine, choose Add Network Place and browse for the Mac.

....OR (if you're just transferring files) invest in a USB flash drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
All that is good, but so much sharing selection from GUI interface can result in exposing too many files/permissions to the internet, so this is best done off line to the 2 machines directly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
The answer is quite simple. Connect the machines together (or on a network, behind a firewall) and enable filesharing on both. Using the PC, you will see that the Mac already has a folder shared by default called "Drop Box". This is a folder that you can merely drop stuff into, to get files onto the Mac. This folder is located in ~/Public/Drop Box.

Now over on the Mac, go to the desktop and push Command-K to bring up a connection dialog. Inside that dialog, type "smb://" and then the name of your PC. For example, mine is "smb://cerebellum". SMB, stands for Samba which is a Unix/Linux program for connecting with Windows. Once you do that, it will connect and ask you which share (folder) you want to connect to on the PC.

That's it! Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.