BIZARRE IDEA!?? Mac OSX for Powerbook G3

Reaction score
I just gave my old Powerbook G3 to my son, but almost anything (iPod nano, skype, messenger, iphoto, mail...etc.) doesnt work for classic MAC OS 9.2.2.

I was almost giving up when I thought: can I erased everything from the old mac and install the DVD from my POWERBOOK G4 with MAC OSX??

Is this possible?? I assume everything will be very slow, but is it a good solution?

Thx in advance for any help with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The discs from your G4 will not work on the G3. Discs that come with Macs are designed to work on the model they come with and that model only.
You can find a retail version of OS X online for a decent price, though.
A retail version of the OS would work on any Mac.

Reaction score
Just for the record, your PowerBookG3 should have a 2X DVD-ROM drive and supports up to Mac OS 10.3.9, and it's by no means a bizarre idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I Have a retail MAC OS X in DVD, I meant if I can install OS X in a powerbook G3??
Thx!
If the disc is the :
DVD from my POWERBOOK G4
as you initially posted, then no it is not a retail disc.
If the disc you have is the black disc with the X on it, then it should work.
If it is the grey disc which came with your PowerBook as you first implied, then no, it will not work.

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry for the mistake. I have 2 macs, a powerbook G3 with OS 9 and a powerbookG4 with OSX.

My question is if I can install OSX on the PB G3 and uninstall OS 9 and will work correctly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sorry for the mistake. I have 2 macs, a powerbook G3 with OS 9 and a powerbookG4 with OSX.

My question is if I can install OSX on the PB G3 and uninstall OS 9 and will work correctly?
Yes, as I stated, OS X will work just fine on your G3. You can also keep your OS 9 installation as there would be no real need to remove it.
What hasn't changed is that so long as the disc is a true retail version, it will work. Discs from other computers simply will not install on a machine which they are not intended for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Just for the record, your PowerBookG3 should have a 2X DVD-ROM drive and supports up to Mac OS 10.3.9, and it's by no means a bizarre idea.
Not all G3 PowerBooks had DVD drives.
The original "Wallstreet" model will not support 10.3 or higher as it doesn't have internal USB ports or a DVD drive. The "Wallstreet" model will only support up to 10.2.x.
Internal USB ports were not introduced until the "Lombard" model, as well as DVD drives.

Reaction score
ikonogramma,

There are several models of the PowerBook G4 so you need to know exactly which model you have.

PowerBook G3 250 (Original/Kanga/3500) 250 MHz PowerPC 750 (G3)

PowerBook G3 233 (Wallstreet) 233 MHz PowerPC 740 (G3)

PowerBook G3 233 (PDQ - Late 1998) 233 MHz PowerPC 750 (G3)

PowerBook G3 333 (Bronze KB/Lombard) 333 MHz PowerPC 750 (G3)

PowerBook G3 400 (Firewire/Pismo) 400 MHz PowerPC 750 (G3)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
My G3 has USB port but not DVD... so it is useless. :(

Thank you again for your help

No. It's possible. I got 10.3.9 in my old non dvd G3 (333Mhz Imac). (I assume any 333Mhz+ powerbook would act the same.) And it works quite well on that. A touch slow in heavy multitasking but on the whole it's really useable. You just have to find a cd version of the software.

And a little note. For it to reognise 10.3 you have to have to partiton your hard drive. And the system partition has to be less than 8GB. I think it's 8. So something like 7.99GB worked for me. I have no idea why this is so. Maybe someone could share their wisdom as to why this is.

And for classic to work properly and to boot up in os 9 you need to have it in the same partition as your OS X.

I'm not sure if you have to install from 10.2 or not for it to work. I don't think so though. But if you have OS 9 already in it, don't delete it. It's hard to get OS 9 on your systen after X is there.

And when you install 10.3 to your G3 expect it to take ages to install. A few hours at the quickest. Maybe even more. Just let it go and do something else for the time. But once it's instaled, the machine is relatively quick. Well for a G3 anyways.

Lastly make sure the firmware is up to date.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.