Verifying The Startup Disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I was going to run some cleanup on onyx and before you do anything it says this: "Before running maintenance or system cleaning, its recommended to verify the startup disk."

So I click ok.

then it says: "The volume needs to be repaired."

then it tells me this: "To repair your startup disk, start from your mac osx x install disc then choose utilities > disk utility..."

So my question is this: Why does the volume need to be repaired? Did I do something to make this happen? if so what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
I just installed Onyx and had to do the same thing. I've only had my (first ever) iMac since Thursday. I did have to manually power it down yesterday while trying to sync my Blackberry - PocketMac seems to be a little flaky.

Reaction score
Hi KoDorSean,

I think that OnyX likes to monitor the S.M.A.R.T status (keeping an eye on how your HD is fairing and hopefully warning you of impending failure) and I have it do this automatically before I can start any cleaning/maintenance. Did you check the HD and find any problems?

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I repaired the startup disk and everything was fine.. I guess I am just curious why it needed to be repaired.

Reaction score
I remember when I first configured OnyX it asked me whether I wanted it to check my HD as well, and it does this first up just after I enter my Admin password.

I'm just wondering how many times you've run OnyX before seeing this message? If OnyX picked up an error and Disc Utility didn't then I don't thing there's anything serious to read from it unless it keeps happening when you run OnyX. Even then if Disc Utiliy gives your HD a thumbs up I would uninstall OnyX and reinstall it as a first step in troubleshooting.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I remember when I first configured OnyX it asked me whether I wanted it to check my HD as well, and it does this first up just after I enter my Admin password.

I'm just wondering how many times you've run OnyX before seeing this message? If OnyX picked up an error and Disc Utility didn't then I don't thing there's anything serious to read from it unless it keeps happening when you run OnyX. Even then if Disc Utiliy gives your HD a thumbs up I would uninstall OnyX and reinstall it as a first step in troubleshooting.

to be honest Marty, I have seen this message about 10 times and i ignored it.. I guess the 11th time it bothered me enough to post this and ask.. as I said i repaired the startup disc and everything works fine now.. I was just curious as to why it needed to be repaired and what caused it.

M

MacHeadCase

I would trust Apple's Disk Utility's diagnostics more than OnyX. I mean, Apple knows how their Macs are supposed to react and be like, no? If you have DiskWarrior, maybe you could run that just to be sure.

Reaction score
OK, so the HD did need repairing .... I misunderstood that it was only OnyX that found any errors ....

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so the HD did need repairing .... I misunderstood that it was only OnyX that found any errors ....

I don't know if it needed repairing or not.. where else could i look to see if it needed to be repaired or if it was just onyx saying it needed to be repaired?

Reaction score
If OnyX reports HD errors I would log out of OnyX and run Disc Utility to do that. Then next step is to boot from your install DVD and try Disc Utility there if need be.

If only OnyX is reporting errors on your HD and Disc Utility is not finding anything, I would uninstall OnyX then reinstall it and run it to see if these errors are still popping up.

As MHC pointed out, DiscWarrior is something worth investing in. You boot from the DW disc and bypass both OnyX and Disc Utility. Then you have an independant assessment as well as a very powerful tool to get you out of the proverbial merde if and when it hits the proverbial.

I am just waiting for the cashflow to improve and I'm buying myself some insurance a la DW.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.