a variety of questions...

Reaction score
Right guys, I'm sure you've been asked all these before but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am (obviously) just about to switch to a mac for the first time and my questions are:

Is there any way I can get my windows ipods to work? I have a 2nd gen firewire ipod and an ipod video

I was planning on waiting for leopard (in spring supposedly) to be released but now do not want to wait till october. I'm willing to buy the macbook I want now then upgrade when leopard is released. Is this going to have an adverse affects? I am planning on buying the middle range macbook (retails for £879/$1299) I'm sure it'll run fine but is it likely that apple will be releasing a new range of macbooks in june or october?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Your Windows formatted iPod will work just fine on a Mac. The Mc read it and work with it seamlessly. The only drawback will be that you will not be able to install future software updates to the iPod from the Mac without reformatting it. If you still have a PC, you'll be able to update it there though.

Buying a MacBook now will have no adverse effects except that you'll have to shell out the expected $129 for the new system like the rest of us. Otherwise 10.5 should run fine on your machines. There is always the possibility of them releasing updated hardware between now and then, but that is always true with any computer. At some point you just have to buy what you want and enjoy it.

OP
Reaction score
thanks for the help baggss, look like I'll be getting one in the next few weeks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
baggss covered things pretty well, but i'd just like to add that regardless of any hardware/software upgrades that may be released in the near (or not so near) future, any of the current C2D Apple products will not be obsolete for quite some time. They're fine machines. The processors are capable, and they're able to be upgraded to a decent amount of RAM.

Good luck with your purchase.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
My ipod was formatted to windows. I made a backup copy of my music and loaded it onto my MBP. The next time I synced my ipod, itunes asked me if I wanted to re-format the ipod to the mac - I did, and my music all stayed intact. I did have to recreate my playlists, but that was no big deal.

Reaction score
I used some iPod restore software when I replaced my music on to a new HD on my Windows laptop a while back. Is that how I'd shift the music to the Mac or should I just be copying the iTunes library itself? I just don't want to inadvertently erase the iPod's music and have to re-rip all those CDs again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
There's an option within Itunes that allows you to back up and export your music.

OP
Reaction score
ok thanks a lot guys

I have ordered it today and really looking forward to it arriving but then thought I'll need a few accessories to go with it.

I'm looking for a DVI to VGA adapter but the one on the apple website looks a little small (the port is in a bit of an awkward position on my monitor), any alternative preferbaly UK based sellers?

Also a case, any recommendations? Would like one with a shoulder starp and would prefer not to spend over £40 or so.

Any other cool peripherals or accessories you like would be nice.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
ok thanks a lot guys

I have ordered it today and really looking forward to it arriving but then thought I'll need a few accessories to go with it.

I'm looking for a DVI to VGA adapter but the one on the apple website looks a little small (the port is in a bit of an awkward position on my monitor), any alternative preferbaly UK based sellers?

Also a case, any recommendations? Would like one with a shoulder starp and would prefer not to spend over £40 or so.

Any other cool peripherals or accessories you like would be nice.

Thanks again!

My wife likes her Timbuk2 Messenger bag,though at $190US that might be a bit much for your budget.

I got an Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard and bluetooth Mighty Mouse, but there are other bluetooth wireless keyboards/mice you might find either better or cheaper for use when at a desk.

The DVI-VGA adapter is designed so that it plugs into the connector that comes out of the external monitor. Mine plugs right in where it would plug into a computer and works rather well. The Mac sees the external monitor and spans it with the LCD at whatever resolution the monitor is capable of (which you can change, plus you can virtually position it to reflect where it physically sits.) You can also get extension cables for VGA monitors; I have a bunch of them, one of which is hooked into my HDTV for my old Mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.