2 separate speaker outputs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
hey guys. Quick question. Is it possible to have 2 separate speaker outputs? then decide which device each program uses?

IE say i want all system sounds to come from my speakers, but i want all iTunes/DVDplayer to come out of a sound card or something sent to a power amp etc

I know it was possible in linux a long time ago...i used to have it setup...but i wonder about osx

anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-24 Core 2 Duo 2GB + G4
For $36 you can add a Griffin USB Audio Interface Model 9066-IMIC2.
(see www.macmall.com)

It will give you a USB stereo output that you can select under the Sound Control Panel with independent level control, and a bonus set of mic and line level inputs. The hard part is controlling the automatic routing of system sounds and audio outputs.

I don't know of a system wide way of doing the routing. It seems like that would have to be a core audio driver issue and would be treated independently by each program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I have used an optical adapter connected to my iBook a coupple of times, i use it with my minidisc recorder. I was suprised to discover you can set the system alarms to use one output and the other sounds through the other. Considering this, i suposse it is possible, but i don't know how.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.